New House - New Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

5 Year Member
Hi Guys, I'm new here and let me tell you I’m impressed of how well you treat you torts.

Basically, we had to move in a new home on short notice, but unfortunately we are missing a safe back garden.

I have 2 Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca), that’s what they call them if I’m not mistaken. I was thinking of setting them up a nice home in the front garden (accessible from the street), but I'm afraid of not finding them there (you know what I mean). We've thought of finding them a new home but they've been with us for at least 15 years now so that is not an option.

However we do have a quite large roof, we don't have snow here in the Mediterranean so it is quite a large open space, concrete though.

Can I in anyway setup a nice neat home in anyway, any ideas ? (has to be neat .. need to impress parents :) ).

Max

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Max,
Welcome to the forum :)

You should be able to do a very nice enclosure on the roof. If you can fit it a 12 X 12 enclosure (made of wood) would be great. 2 foot high sides, so you can have a foot of soil on the bottom.

Danny

Maximus

5 Year Member
Hi Danny, as for space, I have quite a lot to work with. The only concern I have is that soil and sand can damage the roof (With rain and maybe left over drinking water). I was thinking of placing plastic panels on the bottom of the enclosure to separate the roof from the soil and sand. Do you think it will make the whole thing soggy?

Max

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I was thinking that too when I was typing. :) The plastic should work as long as you seal it to the wood. You will than need about 3 inches of small stone at the bottom of the enclosure. If the roof is tilted slightly to run water off, follow that with the enclosure. Cut a round hole (along the bottom) at the lowest point in the enclosure. Than run a pipe from the hole to your drain system. This will keep the enclosure from getting soggy and keep the roof from getting stained. :D

Danny

Maximus

5 Year Member
Good idea :)... in this case the enclosure should be suspended from the floor to allow ventilation. Should I put the wood or rock all around the perimeter of the enclosure? I guess that that helps to keep the soil and sand in (apart from keeping the torts in), or should I let them wonder around and hop in and out of the enclosure as they please?

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.