Outdoor area for my tort peanut

Location (City and/or State)
Wilkes Barre PA
Hey everyone,

I have had my Russian peanut for a year and a half now. When I got her I but her a nice indoor enclosure. This is where she has lived sense I got her. Last summer she stayed indoors. Now that summer is here, Ive been taking her out into the yard for a little "outdoor time". Yesterday I made the decision to turn my old garden into a nice sized out door enclosure for her. I live in north east PA. Now that summer is here it is anywhere from low 80s to 90s. Sometimes it hits 100. And our nights hoover around mid 70s. Yesterday I spent almost 4 hours out there making this enclosure for her. Doubling up the fencing and reinforcing all around the perimeter. I know torts can out dig a gofer so I paid special attention to the lower end of the fencing. Everything is secure. After I built it I let her in there for a few hours watching her to see if she finds any weak spots. She sure put me to the test but in the end she was secure and really seemed to enjoy the outdoors.

Now..... my question is... Today I let her out there early and have been checking on her every 10-15 mins. Again, she really seems to be enjoying herself and is secure inside her pen. I was wondering with the temps I mentioned earlier, would she be ok being outdoors all nigh? Or should I allow her to chill out in her outdoor pen during the day and bring her back in at night? Im asking because even though ive had her for a year and a half im still considered a new owner. The enclosure I made has lots of space. (For a tortoise). lots for her to munch on through out the day, I have a nice spot for her to cool off in the water and I just built her a nice box made from plywood. And I covered the box with lots of grass and shrubbery to keep it as cool as possible inside. Im writing this to get some info from all of the more experienced folks out there. So.....With that being said... What do ya think?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey everyone,

I have had my Russian peanut for a year and a half now. When I got her I but her a nice indoor enclosure. This is where she has lived sense I got her. Last summer she stayed indoors. Now that summer is here, Ive been taking her out into the yard for a little "outdoor time". Yesterday I made the decision to turn my old garden into a nice sized out door enclosure for her. I live in north east PA. Now that summer is here it is anywhere from low 80s to 90s. Sometimes it hits 100. And our nights hoover around mid 70s. Yesterday I spent almost 4 hours out there making this enclosure for her. Doubling up the fencing and reinforcing all around the perimeter. I know torts can out dig a gofer so I paid special attention to the lower end of the fencing. Everything is secure. After I built it I let her in there for a few hours watching her to see if she finds any weak spots. She sure put me to the test but in the end she was secure and really seemed to enjoy the outdoors.

Now..... my question is... Today I let her out there early and have been checking on her every 10-15 mins. Again, she really seems to be enjoying herself and is secure inside her pen. I was wondering with the temps I mentioned earlier, would she be ok being outdoors all nigh? Or should I allow her to chill out in her outdoor pen during the day and bring her back in at night? Im asking because even though ive had her for a year and a half im still considered a new owner. The enclosure I made has lots of space. (For a tortoise). lots for her to munch on through out the day, I have a nice spot for her to cool off in the water and I just built her a nice box made from plywood. And I covered the box with lots of grass and shrubbery to keep it as cool as possible inside. Im writing this to get some info from all of the more experienced folks out there. So.....With that being said... What do ya think?
Hi Jason, I don't know much about Russians so can't help with temps etc but I think it would have to be very secure from predators and possibly have a hide you could shut her in at night.

Wilkes Barre PA
Hi Jason, I don't know much about Russians so can't help with temps etc but I think it would have to be very secure from predators and possibly have a hide you could shut her in at night.
Hi Lyn, I know what ya mean. I made sure not only could peanut not get out I made sure nothing can get in. Today I built her a hide box out of plywood and lined it with pieces of a old tarp to keep the rain out. But in another post someone gave me a great idea for a under ground hide. Goin to start it now!! Thanks for your response!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You can also plant some nice, tortoise-friendly plants that she could hide under and be in shade.