Our red foot tortoise is lazy alone but very aggressive when he sees Russians

frenchsuite

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
We got two Russians about 1 week ago and one red foot right after (my wife thinks red foot is beautiful).

Russians are from PetSmart and red foot is from Petco (we already spent 2000+ to buy them plus all enclosures, a lot of equipment and food. We are almost broke lol).

I found that our red foot is really lazy alone but when we shower him together with two Russians, our red foot is really aggressive toward Russians (albeit all three are males and our red foot is smaller in size). He moves toward Russians quickly and use his head to bump against Russians.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the red foot be less aggressive? Our red foot really loves meat and we feed him worms daily along with veges and fruits (but our red foot does not like veges). Is that probably the reason that he is so aggressive? I meant eating too much meat. I heard too much meat makes people like to fight but I don't know about tortoises.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509_192651_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_192651_Photos~2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should not be having two species together and each tortoise needs it's own enclosure. The two Russians can not share an enclosure.
Both species have very different needs,temps and diet.
Never soak them together either, you are already seeing the aggression.
Your Russians are likely wild caught and the diseases they could pass to your RF could severely damage him in making him sick or dead.
Make the changes ASAP.

frenchsuite

Alabama
You should not be having two species together and each tortoise needs it's own enclosure. The two Russians can not share an enclosure.
Thank you. Each of them has their own enclosure (3 in total). I just let them shower together. Maybe not even shower together I guess??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never soak them together either, you are already seeing the aggression.
Your Russians are likely wild caught and the diseases they could pass to your RF could severely damage him in making him sick or dead.
Make the changes ASAP.
Reread this I added on after you read it the first time

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok! Will shower the three one each time. Do I need to go to vet to check for the diseases?
They would likely be pathogens that I doubt if any vet would know how to check for if they even can be checked for. Just do not let them share anything between the two species.

frenchsuite

Alabama
They would likely be pathogens that I doubt if any vet would know how to check for if they even can be checked for. Just do not let them share anything between the two species.
Actually I have a friend who got her DVM from UGA. I will ask her first.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Russian tortoises will make quick work of a Redfoot. Get them far apart and don't even let them see each other again.
Redfoot have wildly different needs than Russians. Different types of enclosures. Different humidity and heat requirements. Different lighting, different foods, etc.
There's a very large chance that most of what you've purchased will not be suitable for either species.
Please read this. And give us photos of what you're using

frenchsuite

Alabama
Russian tortoises will make quick work of a Redfoot. Get them far apart and don't even let them see each other again.
Redfoot have wildly different needs than Russians. Different types of enclosures. Different humidity and heat requirements. Different lighting, different foods, etc.
There's a very large chance that most of what you've purchased will not be suitable for either species.
Please read this. And give us photos of what you're using

What does "make quick work of" mean? They live in three enclosures. Do you think they should not see each others? Sometimes they stared at each other remotely in different enclosures because the enclosures are made of glass, but thats it. I don't think they like each other but I don't think they hate each other when they see each other remotely. My wife worries that if they want to play with each other but I already told her that they cannot play together as one will bully another (tortoises don't have morality)

JoshuaL

Chelsea michigan
What does "make quick work of" mean? They live in three enclosures. Do you think they should not see each others? Sometimes they stared at each other remotely in different enclosures because the enclosures are made of glass, but thats it. I don't think they like each other but I don't think they hate each other when they see each other remotely. My wife worries that if they want to play with each other but I already told her that they cannot play together as one will bully another (tortoises don't have morality)
I’m not a professional by any means on tortoises but I have read in many places that the glass is very bad for the tortoises and they shouldn’t be able to see out of their enclosure I recommend looking into that and not just taking my word for it because again I’m new to this but what I have seen a lot that could help you is that people put a layer of tape around the bottom bit of glass so the tortoise can’t see out of their enclosure.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Russian tortoises are pretty aggressive and often fight to death. Once one of them decides to fight back your redfoot there will be serious injuries (and most likely redfoot will be injured).

Glass walls, contrary to popular belief aren't stressing tortoises (only some of them don't get an idea of glass). The small enclosure is the most common reason for scratching and banging the walls. However, in your case where tortoises see each other, blocking their view is a good idea.

frenchsuite

Alabama
Russian tortoises are pretty aggressive and often fight to death. Once one of them decides to fight back your redfoot there will be serious injuries (and most likely redfoot will be injured).

Glass walls, contrary to popular belief aren't stressing tortoises (only some of them don't get an idea of glass). The small enclosure is the most common reason for scratching and banging the walls. However, in your case where tortoises see each other, blocking their view is a good idea.
Damn....I thought they like to see each other....it looks like they don't.

I feel very sorry for why tortoises are made so aggressive and isolated. I know everything is made for a purpose but why they are made to be alone? This does not make sense for many of us 😭.

tomorrow I am gonna put their enclosure far away with each other. I am gonna build three super large enclosure (wooden) this summer.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Damn....I thought they like to see each other....it looks like they don't.

I feel very sorry for why tortoises are made so aggressive and isolated. I know everything is made for a purpose but why they are made to be alone? This does not make sense for many of us 😭.

tomorrow I am gonna put their enclosure far away with each other. I am gonna build three super large enclosure (wooden) this summer.
Don't feel sorry for them, they are happy (as much as this word is applicable). They are kings and queens of their own kingdoms.

For us, humans, it's not easy to understand that they don't need friends, don't feel lonely and all that. Other tortoise is either rival or mating object for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m not a professional by any means on tortoises but I have read in many places that the glass is very bad for the tortoises and they shouldn’t be able to see out of their enclosure I recommend looking into that and not just taking my word for it because again I’m new to this but what I have seen a lot that could help you is that people put a layer of tape around the bottom bit of glass so the tortoise can’t see out of their enclosure.
This is the typical old wrong info the we often speak of. I, and many others here, used glass tank to start babies for decades with no problems.

The only problem with glass tanks is that they are too small for anything other than a hatchling, and the open top lets all the heat and humidity out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Reptiles in general don't want each other around. They are happy alone. Not like most humans.😊... don't worry about it, it's natural.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I meant that your Russian tortoises will attempt to kill your Redfoot.

They don't "play" And just being able to see each other will cause unnecessary stress.

frenchsuite

Alabama
I meant that your Russian tortoises will attempt to kill your Redfoot.

They don't "play" And just being able to see each other will cause unnecessary stress.
Already put the enclosures far away...Sad to know that they don't love each other.

frenchsuite

Alabama
Your love for them is enough!
Their behavior is totally different from human. Today I just learned their mom abandoned them even before they become juveniles. That is probably why they are really cold blood

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Their behavior is totally different from human. Today I just learned their mom abandoned them even before they become juveniles. That is probably why they are really cold blood
Even more interesting, that there are some species who protect their egg clutches. But they are still cold blooded. How they behave worked for them for many thousands years, perhaps we should learn something from them and not vice versa :)