Pyramiding in my 5 year old red foot tortoise

Trinatheredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello everyone!
I found my red foot tortoise about 4.5 years ago when he was just a baby, since then he seems to have developed quite a significant amount of pyramiding. After all of the research I’ve done, it seems to me the only explanation to it is the lack of humidity he is getting since he lives primarily inside. I am already getting moss and a heat lamp to help, but I’m still so worried. I’ve really done all I can to give him the best life! I’ve also created an enclosure outside that I let him stay in for most of the day.
I guess my main question/concern is if he’ll still live a long life? Is he in pain at all? Does anyone else have a red-foot that looks like mine?
please help?

Attachments

• FB2C97BD-094E-4E96-B356-3FE8BBF9C4E9.jpeg
    FB2C97BD-094E-4E96-B356-3FE8BBF9C4E9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
  • E28ADCEF-20E4-4750-9264-C2A3FDDB82FF.jpeg
    E28ADCEF-20E4-4750-9264-C2A3FDDB82FF.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 43
  • F498F7B6-6C48-450A-B086-F8CB3A41CD23.jpeg
    F498F7B6-6C48-450A-B086-F8CB3A41CD23.jpeg
    880.9 KB · Views: 42

Trung6126

San Antonio Texas
Hello everyone!
I found my red foot tortoise about 4.5 years ago when he was just a baby, since then he seems to have developed quite a significant amount of pyramiding. After all of the research I’ve done, it seems to me the only explanation to it is the lack of humidity he is getting since he lives primarily inside. I am already getting moss and a heat lamp to help, but I’m still so worried. I’ve really done all I can to give him the best life! I’ve also created an enclosure outside that I let him stay in for most of the day.
I guess my main question/concern is if he’ll still live a long life? Is he in pain at all? Does anyone else have a red-foot that looks like mine?
please help?
Still available please

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Moss isn't very good to use. Most tortoises try to eat it, and it is an impaction risk.

I don't know why you think a heat lamp will raise humidity. It enables the warm air to hold more moisture, but you still need to supply the dampness in his enclosure.

There are things you can do. If his indoor enclosure has an open top, it needs to be enclosed completely. Otherwise, all the heat and humidity just goes out into the room.

The substrate needs to be damp. You do this by pouring water into it and mixing it up with your hands. It should not be sopping, but nicely damp. You can also put living plants in his enclosure. They help a lot.

Outside, you can put up a misting system to keep his area humidified. Get a timer and have it go on/off multiple times a day.

The pyramiding that he has will never go away, but with hard work on your part you might be able to stop it from getting worse.

I don't know how to tell if there is MBD (metabolic bone disease). If there is, I suppose it could be painful. If there is no MBD, I don't think pyramiding hurts...then it's cosmetic.

I'll tag someone who might know better about that.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

@ZEROPILOT
@zovick

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I dont see any signs of MBD with your tort, torts usually look really bad by that point. looks like a healthy tort, just grew up too dry or under too intense light or both possibly. Not sure how much growing yours has left to do but once they are full grown, pyramidding wont change much but it is mostly just cosmetic in that it is unlikely to impact your torts life negatively. It does need proper heat, humidity and lighting through for its long term health.

Trinatheredfoot

Florida
Moss isn't very good to use. Most tortoises try to eat it, and it is an impaction risk.

I don't know why you think a heat lamp will raise humidity. It enables the warm air to hold more moisture, but you still need to supply the dampness in his enclosure.

There are things you can do. If his indoor enclosure has an open top, it needs to be enclosed completely. Otherwise, all the heat and humidity just goes out into the room.

The substrate needs to be damp. You do this by pouring water into it and mixing it up with your hands. It should not be sopping, but nicely damp. You can also put living plants in his enclosure. They help a lot.

Outside, you can put up a misting system to keep his area humidified. Get a timer and have it go on/off multiple times a day.

The pyramiding that he has will never go away, but with hard work on your part you might be able to stop it from getting worse.

I don't know how to tell if there is MBD (metabolic bone disease). If there is, I suppose it could be painful. If there is no MBD, I don't think pyramiding hurts...then it's cosmetic.

I'll tag someone who might know better about that.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

@ZEROPILOT
@zovick
Thank you for all of our help!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello everyone!
please help?
That selfie with your tortoise is awesome.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Nice muscular beastie you have there!

MBD is a complex disease that involves poor diet and lack of healthful sunlight radiation (uvb primarily). It ultimately breaks bones: the carapace caves in, the legs lose their strength and ability to build new muscle fibers, there is often limping and lameness.

These photos do not highlight any concerning issues in that regard.

This is the Redfoot/Yellowfoot Subforum - you can cruise threads to find out how other keepers cope with humidity and other unique care requirements:

Welcome! =))