Ornate question

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
If you have an ornate or have had, raise your hands! Haha![FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

I am wondering if it is possible to keep an ornate's enclosure "too moist/humid".

I ask this because they come from many states so their natural habitat varies from dry, rocky, and hot, to the grasslands, to slightly forested areas...some drier and some more hot and humid...at least for parts of the year.

From the wide range of environments it confuses me as to what is ideal in captivity. My particular ornate came from western Oklahoma and it's generally hotter then all hell in the summers, with a rainy season, but usually it's pretty darn dry. Oklahoma summers can be brutal.
Right now her substrate is mostly coconut coir with some organic garden soil in it. I keep it somewhat moist and it stays cool despite the ambient temp being 80. I let some areas dry out but I water the plants with a spray bottle every other day, generally. And when I spray the plants and change her water dish, I usually spray the substrate down a bit as well.
Should I make it drier since she came from western Oklahoma? Or is it fine? I'm truly looking for what's ideal while she is still INside. I plan to move her outside come spring.

Her water dish is a Tera Cota saucer and it keeps the substrate underneath it, quite moist...which is where I find earth worms and superworms that have escaped her LOL.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Anyone have any insight?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i believe if you know exactly the area your turtle came from, then it's not a bad idea to mimic the environment. box turtles are very adaptable, that's why there's so many options for habitats. it's not which they prefer but which has more food and resources. maybe try both in one enclosure and see which he does prefer, if any. maybe both is a happy medium.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I had an Ornate for over 30 years, and kept her in a planted garden outside. It's very humid where I live as it's an Island, and we have hot humid Summers and cold Winters. She did fine for all those years and just recently died.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Wow! 30 years. That's amazing. So awesome that you could provide her with so many years. She is beautiful. Thanks for sharing pictures!
I think I'll try both while she is still indoors and let her adapt to south Texas come spring when I build her outdoor enclosure. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Ornate question

terryo said:
I had an Ornate for over 30 years, and kept her in a planted garden outside.

what a beautiful enclosure! I'm sorry to hear she passed but 30 years! she was very lucky.