Ornate?

Running Elk

5 Year Member
I'm far from disappointed. I was hoping for an ornate honestly, when I saw her picture I was excited. :D I wasn't looking to buy a 3toed, but I've always wanted an ornate. I've never seen one for under $100.

*Edit: I AM looking for a 3toed, but I'm visiting Louisiana and am looking for a local one for sale/rehome from a breeder or turtle owner.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hi, Running Elk!
I do NOT want to be a wet blanket but I live in Louisiana and thought I'd mention that our goofy state laws decree that it is ILLEGAL to buy, sell, trade or barter etc ANY American box turtles in the state. The only legal way to get a box turtle in Louisiana is to take it from the wild or for someone to GIVE you one. I got this straight from our local Wildlife and Fisheries guy (who is an avid herper).
We have to also have a Fishing license to own box turtles and are limited to 4. But I don't know if that applies to people who live out of state.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
Thank you! I did buy her from out of state (Nevada) and she was shipped. Is that an issue? I am hoping to adopt a 3toed ideally. I hate to take one from the wild. I wouldn't care so much if I were just visiting, but I am planning on moving here permanently, so to know the laws for future reference would be great. I did know that you can only have four at a time.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
So wait you have to have a fishing license to own one? That's....weird. A fishing license for a terrestrial turtle...I guess I won't let my fishing license lapse when I move.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yeah, it's weird! And I agree about not taking them from the wild,

I found Jeff Boundy with Wildlife and Fisheries to be VERY knowledgable and helpful! His email is [email protected]

I've emailed him any number of questions and he always answers promptly. Great guy. Drop him a line to clarify any questions. And I don't mind at all if you double check what I've said- my memory is not what it used to be!

And Welcome to Louisiana! It's GREAT turtle country down here!:)

Running Elk

5 Year Member
Yes, it's awesome turtle country. I have not seen any yet this time though. I love Louisiana, good food, good herping, good people.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
He even verified the one I wanted over the phone by saying, "oh, you want the one that looks like an ornate! We sell lots of those!" And then said he had three toeds himself that looked like ornates and then grew out of it. But I jumped on that, I've never seen and ornate for $60.

Is this the one you talking about? Yes I saw that ad on Kingsnake, and I drove all the way to Las Vegas to pick it up. Yes I only paid $60+tax, They had two at that moment. One has old scar on shell, I picked the one with better shell.
Its an ornate and its mine now. :)
27I9Aci.jpg

Running Elk

5 Year Member
It's not the same exact one, because I have mine. I paid the same, except shipping. There were two advertised, and I had no choice because the other was sold - probably to you. :D Mine looks the same as yours, maybe just slightly smaller.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
It's not the same exact one, because I have mine. I paid the same, except shipping. There were two advertised, and I had no choice because the other was sold - probably to you. :D Mine looks the same as yours, maybe just slightly smaller.
Did you get your Ornate from Exotic Pets Las Vegas?

Running Elk

5 Year Member
Sure did. And I was told they had two but one had sold. He was convinced it was a three-toed though.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Yes, exotic pets las vegas. I bougt mine early July. The staff at the store that day realized it was ornate, but they still agreed to charge me only $60.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
Yes, exotic pets las vegas. I bougt mine early July. The staff at the store that day realized it was ornate, but they still agreed to charge me only $60.

Any idea how old yours is? Mine is the same age, I'm sure. I've only ever had adults, so I can't easily just look at the size and guess.