Ornate?

Running Elk

5 Year Member
I bought this dudette as a three toed. The guy INSISTED that's what it is. But it looks like an ornate to me. He was talking about having three toeds that look like ornates but aged out of it. He also bought them from a local breeder, but he himself didn't breed it. What do you guys think? She looks like an ornate to me...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Uh oh...it's another case of the disappearing invisible turtle!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When we see a pic, we can comment, it could be a hybrid.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
I'm sorry. It's not a case of the disappearing turtle, it's a case of "I-can't-use-my-iPhone". :p

Sorry.

Posting a picture now.

:tort:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Omgosh that look like little Lyle, a young male ornate I used to have.
He is Saleama's now :)
But that little turtle looks like a smaller version of him, neck area and all LOL.
I thought he was a female until members here mentioned they suspicioned he would start to show more signs of being male and he definitely did this spring LOL.
These are older pictures of him (last yr)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405037476.370916.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405037484.769685.jpg

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
He turned into this handsome fellow. And I can't wait to see how much more color he gets in his head and legs as he gets older. @Saleama will have to keep me in pictures. :D
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405038332.096940.jpg

I think it's an ornate OP, unless of course it's only got 3 rear toes, then it would be a hybrid or is that called an integrate?

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Running Elk, does it have an "ornate" plastron?

Elohi(Earth)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. You've bought yourself an ornate box turtle.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I can tell you exactly what happened. The supplier that they use for 3toeds and ornates is the same supplier (odds are) and they simply got pictures mixed up when setting up the ads. The top two are ornates, no Doubts about that, and the bottom is a 3toed. Ornates are so easily distinguishable from other box turtles I'm shocked that they would even argue about it. Ornate/3toed hybrids are not nearly as common as people would like to think.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
Lyle is super cute! And the new baby comes in tomorrow. I got her for $60, good deal for an ornate. I know I'm getting the one pictured. I'm shocked too that the guy argued she was a three toed -- she looks nothing like one.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
He even verified the one I wanted over the phone by saying, "oh, you want the one that looks like an ornate! We sell lots of those!" And then said he had three toeds himself that looked like ornates and then grew out of it. But I jumped on that, I've never seen and ornate for $60.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I can tell you exactly what happened. The supplier that they use for 3toeds and ornates is the same supplier (odds are) and they simply got pictures mixed up when setting up the ads. The top two are ornates, no Doubts about that, and the bottom is a 3toed. Ornates are so easily distinguishable from other box turtles I'm shocked that they would even argue about it. Ornate/3toed hybrids are not nearly as common as people would like to think.
Tell that to my Ornate female Diamond. All her children are hybrid three toed, lol. Of course, she was our only active breeding female for a year or so. Now she has Lyle so maybe she will start laying pure eggs.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Tell that to my Ornate female Diamond. All her children are hybrid three toed, lol. Of course, she was our only active breeding female for a year or so. Now she has Lyle so maybe she will start laying pure eggs.

I meant wild hybrids. Of course in captivity turtles cross more often but that's usually to a lack of a same species mate. I think Lyle is handsome enough to win her over ;)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I meant wild hybrids. Of course in captivity turtles cross more often but that's usually to a lack of a same species mate. I think Lyle is handsome enough to win her over ;)
He already has. Within two days he was spreading his DNA to as many of the females as he could find then he dug a burrow and retired.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
What a life! ;)
Your telling me. He has 1800 sq feet of planted garden with three types of squash, five varieties of cherry tomatoes, two types of non-hot pepper (banana and green bell), two types of egg plant and several gourd varieties. All of that comes with a nice sized Bale with a 1.25 to 2 ratio of males to females, five swimming pools, dozens of hides, daily shower and food delivery which includes mango, fig, apple and banana. I am considering moving in with them. My Uncle spoils the turtles to no end. Once a week he fills a huge tub with warm water and they get a nice bath. It is funny to watch because they muddy the water instantly so all you see is waves and heads popping up all over the place. Still, with all that, Lyle moved out into the "yard" area and dug his own hide! Go figure.
On topic... @Running Elk, I would not be upset in the least if I ordered a three toed and got this beautiful little guy! Ornates can be a bit more tricky to raise but the personality on them is priceless! My three juveniles are my favorite out of all my turtles and tortoises by a long shot.