Hibernation questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey all, I have some questions about my ornate and hibernation. She was a wild turtle until just over a month ago. I assume her to be an adult who has been hibernating all her winters in some pretty brutal Oklahoma winters. But now she is captive in south Texas and is usually indoors until I build her outdoor habitat next spring.

My questions are, should I prep her to hibernate or keep her warm and awake since she is inside? I've read there is a process to readying them for hibernation, is that correct? What would you do?ImageUploadedByTortForum1379437359.760023.jpg

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh she's a pretty turtle.

In my opinion, it's always a good idea to keep a new-to-you turtle/tortoise awake the first winter you have it. This way you get to know the turtle and can see if it's sick or not. Then when you put her back outside in the spring, she will have time to acclimate and prepare all by herself for the next winter's hibernation.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks Yvonne! I thinks she's really pretty too. I feel so lucky to be her keeper. I probably better keep her warm and awake then, to make sure she is totally healthy. Thank you!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

turtlelou

5 Year Member
What do you mean she was wild a month ago? Why isn't she still wild? Does she have a condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.