organic sod made for pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewback

5 Year Member
Hey, I'm new around here and I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the feeding section (it has implications for both) but I thought I would try getting some opinions from everyone. Has anyone considered using one of these two companies' organic grass products as an indoor substrate? They seem like they would be perfect for tortoises and don't have the dangers of normal sod (chemical pesticides, fertilizers, or plastic netting). I might try a little experiment and place it over another substrate in order for it to take root, and then sprinkle some clover and dandelion seeds throughout. If it works out I may use it. Thanks.

http://doggielawn.com/
http://www.freshpatch.com/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have never seen either one of those products. I don't know why it wouldn't be ok. Looks good to me.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
I am really interested in how that turns out! Please keep us updated, I kind of want to try it out myself!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds great. Please keep us posted. I might have to get some myself. Thanks for sharing.

Dewback

5 Year Member
Ok, I am going to give it a shot. The websites say they are only supposed to last for a few weeks with proper watering and light. Maybe with a little effort they will last longer. Perhaps if I reseed it the original grass will serve as compost to help boost the new growth. I am going to try both companies and see how they compare.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good. Keep a record of what you do. Then you'll know what works and what doesn't, then you can share with us:)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have used it. I only tried it once. It seemed to initially take off, but then languished and died soon thereafter. Given the expense, I did not care to try to figure it out. I have had better results with other means of establishing mats of grasses for small tortoise enclosures since then.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Baoh said:
I have used it. I only tried it once. It seemed to initially take off, but then languished and died soon thereafter. Given the expense, I did not care to try to figure it out. I have had better results with other means of establishing mats of grasses for small tortoise enclosures since then.

Would you care to elaborate on this? I am thinking about enlarging my grass area also.

Status
Not open for further replies.