A few questions about my future outdoor enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
In two weeks I am finally starting to work on my outdoor enclosure. Should only take a day or two to complete. I had a few concerns beforehand. I am attaching a picture of my backyard. I live in Huntington Beach, Ca in case it matters. The area that is going to be for the tortoise is on the left side, where there is no grass, but the brick is going away and the area will extend two or three feet into the grass. My concerns are the ivy or whatever is growing on the back wall. Are they normally safe for torts if they are eaten? Also, the three feet of grass I am going to use, has been pooped on by my dog countless times, so I was going to dig it all up and lay down sod. I have laid sod before, so I know how to get it to live and root, but I read some people suggesting the netting in sod to be dangerous, but that was usually for digging species. The total size should be around 8x5. I have a 4 inch Redfoot so I don't think the netting will matter but I'd like a second opinion. The pen HAS to be on the left side also because it gets the most sun, well it really is the only part that gets constant sun in the day. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated :)ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364349623.241086.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about the stuff/ivy on the wall. The netting in the sod. What I do know about it, is that if your tort makes a path, that seems most do, he will ware that path down and the netting could et exposed. I would try to buy sod without the netting, just to be on the safe side.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Maybe I will just use the "grow grass in a tray" method on a larger scale and he can just go without grass until it grows and I can swap the trays out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you just throw seed in the enclosure? Do that and grow in trays. That way you will get some to grow in the enclosure, what he doesn't trample or eat and then you will also have the trays growing. I have never used the sod with the netting. Can it just be pulled off? If so, I would try that. But yes, he can go without grass for awhile.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I'd just leave the grass the way it is or lay down sod. you could also grow some weeds in the aria.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I am going to grow weeds. Maybe I will just water the grass really well daily to clean it and block my dog from going back to use the restroom. It should be safe if any poop is removed, its watered repeatedly and my dog doesn't have access right? The only sod I've used has netting, and its usually in the mmiddle of the dirt and removing it would almost ruin it.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
You should post some close ups of that plant growing on the wall I bet some one could identify and advise whether or not it is dangerous to your torts. Can't really tell what it is from so far back. as for sod and dogs....I wouldn't put down sod I would leave it as is and keep the dog away.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'll try to get a close up pic posted when its sunny out tomorrow. I think I may just keep the grass out of the dogs reach and keep it as clean as possible. I'd like to mount some type of water system on the wooden fence to keep the humidity up

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Dog Poo? Not to worry! Most torts concider it a delicacy! :p

Netting in your sod? That was the old method. I didn't think you could still buy it like that. Big problem with store bought Sod (Lowe's, Home Depot) is the amount of Fertilizer they use to get it to look so good. Not so good for our Tortoise buddies to eat for a couple of years till the Super Fertilizers work their way out. Not a big problem if your tortoises dont eat grasses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't even worry about adding sod. In my experience RF tortoises don't eat grass, as they prefer broad-leaf weeds and plants.

I put down sod when I first moved where I am now, about 15 years ago. After a couple of years the netting started to show up above the ground. I can just see a tortoise's head or leg getting stuck in the netting, the tortoise walking around in a circle trying to get out, and having the plastic cut off a limb or circulation. I would NEVER use sod again unless it did not have netting.

Status
Not open for further replies.