Orange County CTTC Live Turtle and Tortoise Show 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
James those pics are great! I didn't even see some of that signage.. Boy, working the event is so different than attending it.

Thanks for sharing. See ya next year for sure!

Sent from my TFOapp

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thanks for sharing James (kameya)! Awesomeness. Kinda bummed that I could not make it to see the education booths ... or be mortified by the mixing of species, right JD (N2TORTS)? Oh to buy those very cool tortoise signs and painted rock tortoises and other chelonian fan goodies. Hopefully, next time. Thanks for sharing pictures! Living vicariously through them ... yay!

Heather, ya done good. Helping tortoises and tortoises-to-be to thrive is a very good thing. All hail Heather for taking the time to do this! Bravo! : )

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
James great shots ....
maybe I was a little hard judging the show atmosphere, just bummed too much commotion and hard to talk with people. The great thing was seeing all the participants for a local show. The arts and crafts were GREAT! ... some very creative minds ...would have liked to see the larger animals but it was way too crowded. All ~N~ All not a bad morning ... :D

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
I was looking forward to this and wasn't able to make it [PENSIVE FACE]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope Josh realizes just how lucky he is to have dedicated members such as you, Heather! You are a real asset to our Forum.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Heather, sure was nice to finally meet~ neat lil set up and very well versed. .... and James was a very cool dude too!. Like mentioned the folks in this forum....rock!
I'm sure we could take those shows by storm ......but folks need to be invited( bring animals, ideas) . I'm surprised at how " close nit" the club is yet there are almost no members on this forum. If they were a little more friendly and made an effort to reach new people ... their shows could better themselfs a ten-fold. But ...like every other club ... rather it be .. gun , car, bike .... the elders are not too keen on new folks.....:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm surprised by that too JD. There are two turtle clubs here in my town, and the one I used to be affiliated with has almost 200 members, and yet I know of only 3 Forum members who belong to one of the clubs here. Why is it that folks in a club don't join forums?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I'm surprised by that too JD. There are two turtle clubs here in my town, and the one I used to be affiliated with has almost 200 members, and yet I know of only 3 Forum members who belong to one of the clubs here. Why is it that folks in a club don't join forums?

I dont know Yvonne ... this is the second time
attending one of these “ club” events.( since moving to Orange County) The first one was a joke ….and sad… ( there is old thread about it ) … this one was HUGE ….great for learning and sharing our shelled buddies. But honest Yvonne…..they(club folks) were not very nice at all! Right from the ticket booth to most of the vendors…..and funny I have been into this hobby serious for about 25 years now …..40 over all …and I didn’t recognize ONE person!….I’m no spring chicken either, but like mentioned ,the older close knit clubs have a hard time welcoming new people and new ideas. I have seen this in my car club… just as well. :rolleyes:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yvonne G said:
I hope Josh realizes just how lucky he is to have dedicated members such as you, Heather! You are a real asset to our Forum.

Thanks Yvonne! I'd love to represent TFO at other events if Josh needs the help *wink wink*

You guys are spot on about the majority of club members being close knit and not interested in the forum. On one hand, my chino club is pretty small and there is a handful of regulars I just love to pieces :D But as I made my way around the tables before the show started, I was kind of shut down and almost avoided by the other club members. People either didn't like something about me or thought I was suspicious. JD, James, Tom, Ed, you've all met me now and should be able to tell I'm not shy. I talk, get involved and if I don't know something I'll ask. As I walked around I wanted to talk to every table. I wanted to ask questions about their set up, their turtles and torts, what they were going to be presenting. I got brushed off a lot, rolled eyes, hesitated answers and some straight out ignored me. I can count on 1 hand how many people were friendly and interactive with me (Not including my own awesome club members that were there). Maybe everyone was too busy setting up to talk to another exhibitor?? Maybe they thought I was undercover Animal Control ?? (we had to sign agreements before the show) None of that really affected my opinions on the show though. I spent the whole time at my table talking to guests and had a great time doing so :)
I'm in the TFO world, the Club world and I'm not going anywhere :D :D

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
IMAG1067.jpgHello,
It is wonderful to see all the discussion of such a large hard worked and expensive to put on show. The CTTC has its own chat website to take into consideration when coming down hard on them for not using this group. It is open to the public at all times like this one. The CTTC will be 50 years old in 2014 - yes that is older. I am not even 50. We are lucky to have so many options and places to share and learn.

The OC show was way more popular than anyone could have predicted. The crowds were not expected to be that size and it did make it very hard even for the people who worked it. These volunteers who worked it had been doing this for so many hours after weeks and weeks of off site work and planning, that even the sweetest person may have finally gotten tired and seemed short. Many guests that attended the show were not very polite either and there is just so much a volunteer can take. They are not getting paid and yet they are trying to offer something to the public which apparently the public was very interested in.

Yes, I am defending it because as a volunteer donating my time and money I had the time of my life. I do not even belong to that chapter and drove a nice distance to volunteer. What incredible energy and displays - the amount of work that went into this show is something to really think about. Some of the people that are being talked about as having displays that you disagree with may be newer members, but they are trying. If you are going to approach a person and tell them everything that is wrong with them I would not expect them to be to nice back. If you feel the CTTC could learn something from you them join. Go to their meetings and help spread your knowledge with them too. They are 100% volunteers using their own time and money. Share don't just judge.

Where can you go for two and three dollars and see the things you got to see there? The kids were free all the way up to 12. The show itself was not making boatloads of money, but it sure was putting it out trying to share their passion for these animals with the public.

Older group of people? Well, again then join and bring the youth into the club. Join people like Heather and myself and offer the newer information and donate your time and money. It will improve what you did not like - that is a win for everyone.

Next year, you could not keep me away. Time for me to go to work to support this passion. :tort:

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Orange County CTTC Live Turtle and Tortoise Show 2013

tortoiselady said:
1- The CTTC has its own chat website to take into consideration.. It is open to the public at all times like this one.

2- Join and offer the newer information. It will improve what you did not like - that is a win for everyone.

3-Next year, you could not keep me away.

1- I have not heard of this. Can you point me in that direction?

2- really is a win win :D

3- me either!!!!

Sent from my TFOapp

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Team Gomberg said:
tortoiselady said:
1- The CTTC has its own chat website to take into consideration.. It is open to the public at all times like this one.

2- Join and offer the newer information. It will improve what you did not like - that is a win for everyone.

3-Next year, you could not keep me away.

1- I have not heard of this. Can you point me in that direction?

2- really is a win win :D

3- me either!!!!

Sent from my TFOapp
The California Turtle and Tortoise Club has its own website to start with at www.tortoise.org. On that website you will see on the left hand side many places to look for information - the one you want is "contact us". Once you get to that page on the left hand side there is a highlighted box toward the bottom that says CTTC Listservers and Mailing Lists - put your e-mail address in there and you will get sent to the moderator and added to the Yahoo chat group. It is open to anyone interested in turtles and tortoises. The most active moderator is Don Williams, but there are a few others, and the owner Dr. Mike Connor. The rules are the basic ones to be expected - polite and respectful and sticking to the subject of turtles and tortoises in a nutshell. It is a nice place to ask direct questions too.

It is a win win for everyone and it would be wonderful to see more people there too. We are blessed to have so many options, and so much support these days. I like to join and support as many places and groups as I can afford - join and help spread the knowledge. Education is key to what we all love - turtles and tortoises :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to belong to several YAHOOgroups listservs, but once I joined this Forum and got used to the different format, I quit the YAHOOgroups. The people on here are much nicer and better informed. Mike Connor has been to my house and I talk to Don Williams on the phone frequently. There isn't a better informed desert tortoise person than Don and I really like him. But most of the club members just don't take kindly to change and still tout the old school ways of tortoise-keeping.

Years ago, I started the Cen-Val Chapter of the CTTC here in Fresno, CA, and I attended many of the Executive Board meeting for the CTTC in SoCal. Back then, I was old school too. I'm happy to say that at 75 years of age, I'm not too old to learn new ways and make changes in my tortoise-keeping habits for the betterment of my animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.