Outside temps

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hi everyone, this will be Opo's first winter outside fulltime. Last year I would take him outside when it was at least 65°and sunny to graze for awhile. What is a safe temp for Opo to stay outside for a extended time? Opo is 2 1/2yrs and weighs about 17 lbs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would think that at that size he would be able to determine on his own whether he should stay out or go back in. My Dudley, 100+ pounds, goes out every morning. Whether he stays out depends upon how warm/cold it is. Some days he stays in his shed all day long, maybe just sitting in the doorway looking out.

It's a lot warmer on the ground in a protected area, out of the wind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, this will be Opo's first winter outside fulltime. Last year I would take him outside when it was at least 65°and sunny to graze for awhile. What is a safe temp for Opo to stay outside for a extended time? Opo is 2 1/2yrs and weighs about 17 lbs.
If he's outside in a large pen with a heated night box and he goes in and out of the night box on his own, you can let him decide when to be in or out in your climate.

If he doesn't have a heated area to go to, then I wouldn't put him outside in your wet climate until temps were in the 70s and sunny weather. In a dry climate with dry ground and sunshine, 60-65 is fine. They can find a sheltered spot in the sun and bask to warm up. In a damp rainy humid climate, it needs to be significantly warmer for them to be outside.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If he's outside in a large pen with a heated night box and he goes in and out of the night box on his own, you can let him decide when to be in or out in your climate.

If he doesn't have a heated area to go to, then I wouldn't put him outside in your wet climate until temps were in the 70s and sunny weather. In a dry climate with dry ground and sunshine, 60-65 is fine. They can find a sheltered spot in the sun and bask to warm up. In a damp rainy humid climate, it needs to be significantly warmer for them to be outside.
Thanks Tom, he won't come out of his heated box. So I decided to put some dandelion and a small terracotta dish of mazuri. He ate some dandelion and when I put the mazuri in. I saw him go right to it. My wife came to me and said Opo was trying to remove the mazuri. Sure enough he was trying to pick it up by the edge of the dish but couldn't get it over the raised edge of the Kane mat. I removed but he hasn't come out. This morning he stuck his head out for awhile and went back in. Hopefully he will be smart enough to come in from the cold.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I would think that at that size he would be able to determine on his own whether he should stay out or go back in. My Dudley, 100+ pounds, goes out every morning. Whether he stays out depends upon how warm/cold it is. Some days he stays in his shed all day long, maybe just sitting in the doorway looking out.

It's a lot warmer on the ground in a protected area, out of the wind.
I am hoping Opo will be one of the smart ones to determine when its cold. He is just sitting in the heated box looking out today. It is about 60°with no sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, he won't come out of his heated box. So I decided to put some dandelion and a small terracotta dish of mazuri. He ate some dandelion and when I put the mazuri in. I saw him go right to it. My wife came to me and said Opo was trying to remove the mazuri. Sure enough he was trying to pick it up by the edge of the dish but couldn't get it over the raised edge of the Kane mat. I removed but he hasn't come out. This morning he stuck his head out for awhile and went back in. Hopefully he will be smart enough to come in from the cold.
They use their heated boxes much like a burrow. In the wild they go into their burrows to avoid temperature extremes. They spend most of every day in the burrow and sleep there all night every night. Its a good sign that he's peeking out, but staying in. Just check on him several times a day whenever you can. If you see him parked under a bush or in a corner sleeping outside on a cold day, then put him in the box. Every day at dusk, put him in the box and shut the door for the night. Every morning, open up the door and he can choose if he wants to come out.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They use their heated boxes much like a burrow. In the wild they go into their burrows to avoid temperature extremes. They spend most of every day in the burrow and sleep there all night every night. Its a good sign that he's peeking out, but staying in. Just check on him several times a day whenever you can. If you see him parked under a bush or in a corner sleeping outside on a cold day, then put him in the box. Every day at dusk, put him in the box and shut the door for the night. Every morning, open up the door and he can choose if he wants to come out.
Thanks Tom, Opo never came out. We are going to be cold and cloudy for 4 days. Is no UVB for that period of time ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, Opo never came out. We are going to be cold and cloudy for 4 days. Is no UVB for that period of time ok?
Yes. They can go weeks with no UV. We used to have a moderator here that kept her tortoises outside all summer in Cadilac MI, and indoors with no UV all winter. Her tortoises did well and showed no sign of any MBD. You can add some D3 to the diet if you want. Mazuri has D3 in it too.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes. They can go weeks with no UV. We used to have a moderator here that kept her tortoises outside all summer in Cadilac MI, and indoors with no UV all winter. Her tortoises did well and showed no sign of any MBD. You can add some D3 to the diet if you want. Mazuri has D3 in it too.
Ok thanks, Cadillac Michigan that is my old stomping grounds. Opo gets mazuri. I didn't add UVB to Opo's box because there was less than 10 days last winter that I couldn't get him in the sun.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yeah Opo didn't hardly eat anything yesterday. Never came out of his box. Just stuck his head out. Bringing Opo's pool in today and putting in my shower so I can give him a soak.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I am hoping Opo will be one of the smart ones to determine when its cold. He is just sitting in the heated box looking out today. It is about 60°with no sun.
I worked most of the summer getting Ghost acquainted with his outdoor enclosure. It started off slow getting him to go in and out on his own. By the end of the season, he had come to expect that his ramp would be available at all times to go in or out of his house. Ever see a tort have a hissy when their expectations aren't met? lol

Anyway, he starts his 24x7 outdoor life in spring, and I'm glad he's comfortable with the environment.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I worked most of the summer getting Ghost acquainted with his outdoor enclosure. It started off slow getting him to go in and out on his own. By the end of the season, he had come to expect that his ramp would be available at all times to go in or out of his house. Ever see a tort have a hissy when their expectations aren't met? lol

Anyway, he starts his 24x7 outdoor life in spring, and I'm glad he's comfortable with the environment.

What do you have set up for next Winter? (Nov-Apr) or so? Climate Change! :) will help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Right now he's in his indoor enclosure. Still too small to be kept outside 24x7.

Right, but a few posts up you said - “Anyway, he starts his 24x7 outdoor life in spring, and I'm glad he's comfortable with the environment.”

So i was wondering are you planning something for 24/7 outside next Winter? We need warmer winters.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Right, but a few posts up you said - “Anyway, he starts his 24x7 outdoor life in spring, and I'm glad he's comfortable with the environment.”

So i was wondering are you planning something for 24/7 outside next Winter? We need warmer winters.
Oh...sorry....misunderstood you. I have his heated house all ready to go for next winter. I tested it last week during our 10 degree weather and maintained an ambient temp of 82 throughout the house. Automatic generator tested fine as well as my battery backups for the security system and other components. I think he'll be just fine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Oh...sorry....misunderstood you. I have his heated house all ready to go for next winter. I tested it last week during our 10 degree weather and maintained an ambient temp of 82 throughout the house. Automatic generator tested fine as well as my battery backups for the security system and other components. I think he'll be just fine.

Great....did you measure your temps with the enclosure door open all night long? Or closed. Anyhow, good luck. Our Sully is in her inside area now that also has a nice 6x3 foot night box. A cozy burrow.

Last edited: