Opinions PLEASE, red foots fed daily... Skipped feeding today?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidao88

5 Year Member
so today I has an emergency nothin big but was unable to feed my redfoots... I will feed them normally tomorrow....

they are both about a year and a half
That being said... Is it okay to sometimes skip feeding? What about feeding them every other day? What would be the benefits and disadvantages?

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Yes, they will be fine.

I would never routinely skip days of feeding but if something came up (like it did) and you had to skip a meal, they won't suffer. Just feed them next time and move on :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

haidao88

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick reply

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

abclements

5 Year Member
Yup no big deal. I left town for the long 4 day weekend and had a friend stop by just once today to feed Franklin. I have edibles in the enclosure though as snacks. But they can got a couple days without food and be perfectly healthy.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Let's look at the science. They need a certain number of calories a day. We can calculate that number, and do a rough estimate of the calories we feed them (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/guidelines-and-dosages)

With their very slow metabolisms, it really does not matter if you give them a daily dose every day, or a double dose every couple days, or even a 7-times dose once a week for the most part- although younger guys should probably not go more than a couple days most of the time.

travisc

5 Year Member
Indiana
I always feed tortoises under one year every day and tortoises over one year every other day. feed tortoises to much could end up causing Pyramiding. I have noticed that the tortoises that I have with the worst Pyramiding are the ones that eat the most.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
travisc said:
I always feed tortoises under one year every day and tortoises over one year every other day. feed tortoises to much could end up causing Pyramiding. I have noticed that the tortoises that I have with the worst Pyramiding are the ones that eat the most.

This whole pyramiding thing gets more and more confusing. I thought the current belief was that pyramiding was ONLY a result of humidity/moisture.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Opinions PLEASE, red foots fed daily... Skipped feeding today?????

travisc said:
I have noticed that the tortoises that have with the worst Pyramiding are the ones that eat the most.

Really? You need to meet more tortoises.
Let my largest leopard show you otherwise :D he is a pig, eats a ton and is smooooooth.

So, OP, did the tort enjoy his next day meal? :D

Heather

travisc

5 Year Member
Indiana
yes humidity is the main thing but things like over feeding could cause or contribute to Pyramiding. just read the pyramiding article in the health section.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
I read the pyramiding article, by Tom, entitled "The End of Pyramiding." He suggests that it is entirely an issue of humidity and hydration. This is why I'm confused.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It is an issue of hydration. An animal that eats more is more prone to dehydration because it takes more internal fluid(s) to process a higher food intake, which will in turn dehydrate the animal if it cannot replace those fluids lost in the digestion process. The core issue will always be about hydration, but people can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to issues like this.....

zman7590

5 Year Member
feed eery dayyy

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

haidao88

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
travisc said:
I have noticed that the tortoises that have with the worst Pyramiding are the ones that eat the most.

Really? You need to meet more tortoises.
Let my largest leopard show you otherwise :D he is a pig, eats a ton and is smooooooth.

So, OP, did the tort enjoy his next day meal? :D

Heather

Lol yea they sure did lol it also look like they ate it pretty fast

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
they will be just fine :).... ALL tortoises can go a very long time without eating. Months if forced to...........
and like Eric mentioned the biggest issue is hydration....

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Opinions PLEASE, red foots fed daily... Skipped feeding today?????

EricIvins said:
It is an issue of hydration. An animal that eats more is more prone to dehydration because it takes more internal fluid(s) to process a higher food intake, which will in turn dehydrate the animal if it cannot replace those fluids lost in the digestion process. The core issue will always be about hydration, but people can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to issues like this.....

I liked what you explained here. Thank you.

Heather

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Team Gomberg said:
EricIvins said:

I liked what you explained here. Thank you.

Heather

Agreed. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.