Opinions on Vision Cages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicalHobo

5 Year Member
A while back I purchased a vision cage on impulse (they were having a sale for Cyber Monday, who couldn't resist?). Now I have a big V332 sitting out in my storage room and nothing to put in it. I've been yearning to get myself a tortoise and am leaning towards getting a Russian tortoise. It would be nice to put this vision cage to use, but I'm not sure if a tortoise is the right reptile for this type of cage. The vision cage measures 36"W x 28"D and has vents installed which allows a heat lamp and a UVB hood to be placed on top of the vision cage. Has anybody used a vision cage for a tortoise with success? Any thoughts or concerns? Thanks!

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...ubs/vision-cages-and-tubs/-/v332-vision-cage/

That's the particular model I have sitting in my storage room ^

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Alot of us with hatchlings will use vision cages or other types of/custom built "closed chambers". They work well for keeping up humidity. If you brought home a hatchling russian I'm sure it would work great for a while. If you brought home an adult russian, that style of cage is fine..but its dimensions would be too small for full time living in my opinion. If you can build an outside pen for day times and use the vision cage for nights/cold days then i think the size would be fine for an adult russian.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They work great for tortoises, I have 2. You can get used neodesha caged that are up to 6 ft. in length. The main reason I got mine was to keep my cats out so I didnt have any accidents with heat lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.