Thoughts on Vision Cage Vs. Custom-Enclosure for a Baby Leopard

Elizabeth Restat

Hello All-

I was hoping to get some expert feedback from someone who's already used a Vision Cage. I read through @Tom's article on closed environments, and given it specifically references the breed of tortoise I'm prepping for, color me convinced of the need for a closed system.

However, while I was initially leaning towards an inexpensive glass / tinfoil / duct tape solution, I'd like something that makes things easier for us to open the environment and take the tortoise out. From reading this forum, I've gotten the distinct impression that tortoises are like potato chips, thus our odds of having just one baby tort over the course of our lifetimes are slim. Ready to invest a little, I've found the following options on craigslist.

Option 1: I like the sturdiness of the Vision cage, but it also looks like the floor is flush with the sliding doors, making it difficult to properly pile up substrate. Am I right about the floor? I'm also not sure what the utility is of having vents in the back that I would just have to cover up.

The other choice is a custom-enclosure maker. This one again has some challenges covering up vents and handles, but I can have it made to spec for where the baby will be living in the house. It's also cheaper.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Vision 322 w/ vents:
vision1.jpgvision2.jpg

Example of the custom option:
custom1.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is a short lip on the front bottom of the vision cage, but you are correct, IMO it is not high enough. The simple fix is to put a wood runner along the front. Blocking the vents at the back is simple, and if you end up using a humidifier to increase humidity it is a good place to blow the humidity through.

One draw back from the vision cages is that you really have to manage your heat source, they do deform, warp, or outright melt if the local heat spot gets away from you. The exteriors surfaces can be insulated easily with Styrofoam panels making a better barrier between the interior and the ambient temp of the room. This can reduce the need to supply heat.

Wood will eventually rot, but well protected with non-toxic coverings that can be 20 + years out as a concern. Wood cages can be made to essentially any size, vision cages are pretty much what they are, custom sizing will not happen.

One of the biggest differences is in the effort required to sanitize them from one use/inhabitant to another. The vision cage is much easier to sanitize, but is not more sanitize-able. The vision cages are also much lighter in weight for the size than wood.

I am building some 4 x 8 foot print enclosures and I'm going with wood, painted with exterior floor paint all around and the interior floor will be modern vinyl flooring (supposed to be non-toxic). The sliding doors will run along both long sides for easy access, and I'll plumb them with water trays such that they can be cleaned in place.

While I worked at a few zoos, the vision always won the criteria, mostly based on clean-ability. I will go with bio-active substrate and routine spot cleaning. Vision work well if you use newspaper or intend to do a total substrate turnover frequently. I tend to be always taking soiled substrate out in small amounts and adding some back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two problems with the Vision cages:
1. The inner lip doesn't allow enough substrate, as has already been noted.
2. They are too low inside to hang the lights properly, and I don't want the lights outside. I need a minimum of 24" inside to hang my lights, and none of the Vision cages I've seen were that tall inside.

I like the custom cages, but they make them out of Melamine, which will disintegrate over time with wetness, and for any tortoise I'm raising, the lower substrate layers will be wet-ish to maintain humidity.

I have been unable to find anything suitable, and so I build my own.

britsip

Reno, NV
I am by no means an expert when it comes to tortoises, but I have had experience with many different reptile enclosures, including the vision cages. I really like the vision cages, but not for a tortoise. It worked great for my baby cornsnake, but would be unwise for a tortoise as it prevents establishing the correct environment.
I recently used a melamine enclosure that was built for a hatchling tortoise with the dimensions 4x2x18. It had three round vent holes in the back and it held heat and humidity perfectly. Alas, I ended up with a three year old star tortoise and the 4x2x18 was too small for long term use. This is where I would recommend jumping ahead and buying a 6x3x2 or 8x3x2 Animal Plastics enclosure. These cages are beasts and wonderfully made. I picked one up off craigslist, but it was still pricey. In my opinion, worth the price. The lip to hold back bedding is around 7 inches, it has ventilation slots across the back to allow for easy humidity control, is 2' high so hanging lights are not an issue, and it is big enough to house a smaller species for awhile (if not permanently). It's made from super durable and light weight plastic that hold humidity great, doesn't bow, and retains heat. The cage is a beast that performs perfectly for me AND it looks sharp (black on black). I can't stand homemade cages because they are aesthetically unappealing (in my opinion)... especially when they are in a room on display. My vote is to invest in an Animal Plastics cage. Install a ceramic light fixture for a basking light and buy a 160 watt reptile radiant heating panel.

Elizabeth Restat

I ended up going with the custom guy (sadly before I googled Animal Plastics), which would have added some topspin to my choice. I was able to get the enclosure customized to the space size (which is big enough for a baby but weirdly shaped) and he added an additional ceramic socket so I can put both UV lamp and ceramic heating element without having to leave any space between the lid and the main enclosure. It also has built-in florescent sockets.
For my next step up, though, I will definitely look at these American Plastics guys for indoor use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is where I would recommend jumping ahead and buying a 6x3x2 or 8x3x2 Animal Plastics enclosure.

I haven't seen these before so I did an internet search and found them. They look ideal.

It says they ship separately and that you must assemble them yourself. It sound like you bought yours already put together, but do you know how difficult it is to assemble one from scratch?

I need to give one of these a try. Thanks for the tip! :)

britsip

Reno, NV
The one I bought was actually not assembled. But it was super easy. That's coming from someone who can't built anything. You just line up the holes and put in the screws. The cages are also very light so even one person can manage. @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The one I bought was actually not assembled. But it was super easy. That's coming from someone who can't built anything. You just line up the holes and put in the screws. The cages are also very light so even one person can manage. @Tom

Exactly what I was wondering. So they screw together and the sealant is applied after assembly?

Thanks again for the tip!

britsip

Reno, NV
Yeah, you screw it all together and seal it. The glass is also really thick and heavy. I'm impressed with the quality. And the built in lock is a nice touch.

a5fung

5 Year Member
I ordered a animal plastic T8 recently, going to get it in a week or two. The T8 is 4x2x1', so it won't fit a lamp inside, but had a screen on top for lamps. It does come with a fixture inside for uvb tube (additional 20$). It's may not be as ideal as a larger one with 2' height, but at $150 brand new it's much more affordable. I plan to use it for a baby/young cherryhead. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Animal plastics is expensive when you look at those with a larger foot print. A local friend has several, they look great and the manufacture seems reasonable in dealing with customers. But big $$ to fill out a room with large enclosures.

If aesthetics is important and you don't have skills to home build a good looking enclosure and extra $$ laying around it would be a good way to go.

I've had furniture nice enclosures, they don't husband the animals better than functional less 'pretty' enclosures. Then again look at the home built by @Markw84 , they are spectacular.

Eventually @Elizabeth Restat you are going to go one way or another. When you do please share.