Operation Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

prymax

5 Year Member
I moved into my roommate's house about 3 months ago, and he is an owner of the tortoise.

When I first moved in, I honestly knew nothing about tortoises, but I have taken a liking to this guy.

His name is still up in the air, but I am trying to make the name "Myles" stick.

I am coming here to write out of concern for Myles, as his health doesn't seem to be in the best condition.

The roommate made the mistake of getting a tortoise without doing thorough research, and is missing some key elements to stop pyramiding.

The situation is now at full attention, and we are making whatever changes necessary to help out the little buddy.

One of the main issues was that he was barely using his back legs. My guess is two combined reasons.

1) was in a slippery wood floored box with not enough "tortoise" flooring

2) it appears calcium is lacking in his diet, as he seemed weaker

He is fed romaine lettuce often, along with carrots. I also bought him a tortoise calcium cuttlebone, which he has taken a liking to.

In the summer when it's hot out, we let him walk around outside in the grass, and he loves life, chomping away like a lawnmower.

But there comes another issue, we live near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Where summer lasts 4 months at the most.

I am not sure if I should be concerned about his bed flooring either, as it is wood chips.

He does have a heat lamp, I am not sure if it is the correct type. But he is often by it, when it is on.

I guess if anyone can pinpoint some advice on this little guy, it would be greatly appreciated. I hope to see this little gaffer being alot more friendly, happy and healthy in the future!

I think I am destined to get my own tortoise when the time is right, and I should be well informed by then!

Thank you! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Prymax!

You neglected to tell us what kind of tortoise you're talking about, but in the meantime, some general info:

I think your tortoise is suffering from Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Since you can't set him up in a permanent outdoor enclosure for full time sun, the next best thing is a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb). This bulb gives off the UVB rays that the tortoise needs to make Vitamin D. Without the vitamin D, the calcium just gets pee'd out and is of no effect to the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. If you happen to have a baby sulcata, or leopard, check out the threads at the bottom of my post. You also need to give a bigger variety of food. If you can buy Mazuri tortoise chow in Canada, get some of that also.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Yeah...he definitely needs a mercury vapor bulb and a variety of greens. I would try to wean him off romaine, but for real info we'll need a species. Good on you for taking the initiative to help out this little guy, you came to the right place!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
prymax said:
I apologize, he is a sulcata tortoise!

Wow... How popular is it up north to have a non-hibernating species of tortoise that grows to be 200 lbs.??? It seems like they wouldn't be very popular in that area because of the difficulty in housing them over the winter.

I think it's awesome that you are trying to help this tortoise out.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
post some pics...
any idea how old this poor thing is?
he needs sunshine.. and warmth... A move south should be in his future... soon
i hope we can help in the meantime...

prymax

5 Year Member
Here are some pictures of Myles.

We are going to get him UV ray lighting, to help assist the calcium.

Is there any advice on getting him to be more friendly? He is very timid and always hides in his shell when a person comes near.

The odd time he will let you pet his head, very rarely!

photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto (3).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oh the poor fellow. Obviously he is having a couple of major issues. So glad you have decided to do something about his lack of proper care.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
prymax said:
Here are some pictures of Myles.

We are going to get him UV ray lighting, to help assist the calcium.

Is there any advice on getting him to be more friendly? He is very timid and always hides in his shell when a person comes near.

The odd time he will let you pet his head, very rarely!

Oh, bless his heart. It definitely appears as if he has Metabolic Bone Disease. It's been said before, but I'll say it too: Calcium Phosphorus supplement that contains D3. If you can gather some pesticide-free grasses and weeds, or hay, or even Mazuri Tortoise Diet with organic mixed greens, that would be better than romaine lettuce. Also, I know it's getting pretty cool up north now, but whenever there's a sunny day over 60 degrees where he could go outside on grass for at even just a few minutes, that would do wonders for his physical and mental health. He's probably acting scared and timid because he feels like crap, and feels vulnerable because he can't move properly. I bet once his health improves, his personality will become more outgoing. I've never met a shy sulcata. :) You're an angel to care about helping this animal.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Any updates on Myles? His pyramiding/MBD are fairly advanced but a few weeks of soaks, sun, calcium and mixed greens should have him feeling much better. I love his castle hide btw :D

prymax

5 Year Member
Update: We are getting Myles a mecury-vapor Eco-terra bulb this weekend, so hopefully the UV rays will help his body transform nutrients for his benefit.

Since it is getting colder here in Alberta, he probably won't be outside anymore until spring.. How often should we leave the light on?

He is still very grumpy and hides in a corner everyday. We bought some pellets made for grassland tortoises, says "sulcata" on it... And he loves it. Hopefully that gives him a better diet mix He destroyed the first calcium bone we gave him, but has not been eating the second one much.

What is the best bedding for a tortoise? What do they like to burrow in? Sand? A pile of dirt?

Will MBD get better with all the right treatment? I hope so. He will need the strength as he becomes heavier.

Thank you everyone for your support, never thought a tortoise would grab my heart like this!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Since he has issues already as long as he has another heat source I would give the UV a couple hours a day and have a cuttlefish bone present as well as separate calcium and multivitamin supplements ( like heptivite) on two different days of the week on his breakfast. The MBD can be reversed but the pyramiding that has already happened will always be there....if he grows smooth and healthy from now on he should be fine.

M

Maggie Cummings

Cypress mulch is the substrate I use for every place that needs substrate. I would sit next to him on the floor and let him get used to you. I'd offer treats of cooked squash or zucchinni. Sit there and try and make friends with him. I guess you discovered he is badly pyramided and are going to change his diet to more hay, dark leafy greens and Spring Mix. Sprinkle powdered calcium over his food daily for a while. Get a good UVB bulb and give him a better diet.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
When using those grassland tortoise pellets or Mazuri tortoise chow, it should always be soaked before feeding. This stuff is very dry and will suck moisture out wherever it can get it. Also, Myles needs regular warm water soaks. Read the “stickies" at the top of this forum to get good, solid advice on care for the little bugger.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome, bless you for helping Myles. He sure needs you right now...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome! I'm so glad that you are trying to help this poor guy. The question was asked, but never answered. How old is he? If he's only a year or two, then what you do now will greatly increase his life span. If he's say, seven+ years old, I would think he's rather small for that age which only confirms the degree of MBD he's suffering from. Please let us know so that someone can give you more advise on his condition.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
My heart goes out to you and Myles! These turtles have a way of grabbing your heart and never letting go! I'm so glad you are helping him. All the advice given so far is great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.