Odd Mark on Hatchling's scute.. Please advise.

SarahNathanielO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington, DC
Hello All! My hatchling Hermann's, Ernest has an odd mark on his shell and I am just a bit worried about it. I can't say when it showed up as I have half a mind to think that it has been there since he was sent to me. (from TortoiseSupplyCo) But for reference he is about 3 months old and is around 2" on his shell. Ignore the little wet dot on the top of his head. We were just having a bit of fun. :)

I am also concerned with the bit of new growth around the edge of his shell, I am worried that he isn't getting enough calcium, although I mix it in with all of his food. Being such a small tort, he doesn't intake any kind of impressive amount, and he certainly lets me know if I have added too much for his liking as he will turn his nose up at the smell of his food. I want to be a good tort mom, but I am so nervous to mess something up at this stage in his life. I'm beginning to think that I'm just not experienced enough to care for a hatchling. I need your wisdom, all! Thanks!!

ErnestShell.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
New growth looks fine, I wouldn't worry about that spot, and daily calcium is not good. I would recommend reducing that to a couple times a week, and only sprinkle on a tiny bit.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Calcium only needs to be a couple times a week :D If he'll eat a cuttlebone, leave one in there, it'll help trim his beak naturally too.
I know this is seeming a little evil of me to point out, but is that sand in the background? Sand is never okay, for a few reasons!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is a strange spot, isn't it. It almost looks like an air bubble. I wouldn't worry about it.

SarahNathanielO

5 Year Member
Washington, DC
@Yvonne G I know! It's not raised or anything, it's not any different density or texture than the rest of him. I don't know.. But if the consensus is not to stress, stress I will not.

@Yellow Turtle01 Uhh-Ohh. Now I've done it, haven't I. I use a mixture of topsoil and play sand as advised by Tortoise Trust. In his basking spot it tends to surface above the topsoil, and I mix it around every morning. Should I add more soil to that spot to keep the temp even keel? He has had a cuttlebone in there the whole time and he hasn't even given it half a thought. I'll watch how much I give him.

@Tom Thanks for the positive on his new growth. I feed him every other day and let him graze in his garden the other half. I will be sure to watch how much/how often I give.

Thank you!

Peytons torts

It looks just like a spot on his shell that would darken up
Like the other brown spots on his shell one mine had that when I got it and now it's just a dark brown spot like all of the others are:)