Open or enclosed?

Andy27012

5 Year Member
Just looking for opinions, after much research I feel like red foot tortoises would be my best bet. I currently live in North Carolina near lake Norman. As a result of my proximity to the lake the daily humidity starts out at 90% and ends around 35%. Based on this does everyone think I would be better off with an enclosed or open top enclosure?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Definitely go with closed then. This is a species that does best with higher humidity all the time, but for hatchlings it's really essential.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I feel like red foot tortoises would be my best bet. I currently live in North Carolina near lake Norman. Based on this, what seems to be what everyone would think I would be better off with an enclosed or open top enclosure?
First, I must make sure you understand that in no way do I have any experience with red foot tortoises or any of the tropical tortious. All that said, I must stand by the (and other members will likely back this) belief that the best way to keep a hatchling is to keep it warm and in a moist sealed enclosure.
As weather permits, offering outside grazing time in the sun is an easy way to give needed exercise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Regardless of where you live, humidity in an indoor open topped enclosure with heat lamps and heating elements, in a heated or air-conditioned house, will be unnaturally low. Especially for a forest type species.

Best to use a large closed chamber with all of the heating and lighting inside.