Oops He Did It Again

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
My red foot tortoises would some times accidentally flip onto their backs & they usual couldn't get themselves right side up again when I discovered what happened, normally there isn't a life threatening danger as the lamps temperatures isn't high in their enclosures as would be under natural sunlight.
This little Redfoot is outside all day long...there's a couple pieces of lattice for shade. But if he was on his back in the sun, and I had gone to town for something, he might lay upside down in a sunspot for an unknown length of time, I worry about him on his back and I wonder just what it's doing to him when he's on his back for 10 or 15 minutes or so or longer think about it. I'm not home everyday all the time.
100_0343.JPG

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This little Redfoot is outside all day long...there's a couple pieces of lattice for shade. But if he was on his back in the sun, and I had gone to town for something, he might lay upside down in a sunspot for an unknown length of time, I worry about him on his back and I wonder just what it's doing to him when he's on his back for 10 or 15 minutes or so or longer think about it. I'm not home everyday all the time.
View attachment 331330
I know what you mean. When I go shopping or something.my critters are always in the back of my mind and hoping they're ok. They're usually fine but I've seen them get themselves into trouble and can't help but worry ? it makes me always cut short my away time.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I know what you mean. When I go shopping or something.my critters are always in the back of my mind and hoping they're ok. They're usually fine but I've seen them get themselves into trouble and can't help but worry ? it makes me always cut short my away time.

I’m my goodness … ME TOOOOOO!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No. People were talking about worrying about their animals when they're away shopping. I only have 2 cats right now. They don't get in trouble much now that they're older. Now Houdini, I'm going to worry about him when I"m away.
For the first couple of months you need to keep watch. Once he CANNOT ESCAPE and there's stuff in his pen to climb on and fall off of...he'll be ok. Here he had a tort table in the tort shed for night times, and an outside pen daytime and he adjusted to the tort table first.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The 4-1/2 lb cat is much faster than the 25 lb cat. She swats him in the face & takes off running. She's 50 feet away before he gets off his butt. Now that they're older, they don't get in too much trouble. Now hubby, he's a different matter.
Dilly is not so good. He goes around opening cabinet doors (because he can) when I'm not here. He also likes chewing on plastic bags. And the little brat is considered a senior cat by his vet. And to top it off he's laying in my spot on the couch and I have to force him off to sit down and rest up. After I shut all of the cabinet doors when I get home, I need a break but no. Dilly is half hound dog and has a way of slithering back on to my spot when I try to move him?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Dilly is not so good. He goes around opening cabinet doors (because he can) when I'm not here. He also likes chewing on plastic bags. And the little brat is considered a senior cat by his vet. And to top it off he's laying in my spot on the couch and I have to force him off to sit down and rest up. After I shut all of the cabinet doors when I get home, I need a break but no. Dilly is half hound dog and has a way of slithering back on to my spot when I try to move him?
Correctness says we're their "caretakers." We're really their slaves. They do have us trained.

My cats can't open cabinet doors but they can make them "bang" so you have to investigate what they're up to. By the time you get there, they"re gone, probably laughing & rolling on the floor in another room.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Correctness says we're their "caretakers." We're really their slaves. They do have us trained.

My cats can't open cabinet doors but they can make them "bang" so you have to investigate what they're up to. By the time you get there, they"re gone, probably laughing & rolling on the floor in another room.
Dilly doesn't care if I see him do it or not. I actually caught him on a video doing it. I accidentally erased it on my SD card but a lot of times I can find that stuff on Google. He got down and dirty, waving his body and just popped it open right in front of me. The last thing in the video is me laughing my head off and my foot aimed at his butt. Maybe there's nothing they're interested enough in to go ahead and open it ? and just enjoy getting on your last nerve ?

willee638

HK
No. People were talking about worrying about their animals when they're away shopping. I only have 2 cats right now. They don't get in trouble much now that they're older. Now Houdini, I'm going to worry about him when I"m away.
I'm not sure about trusting cats if they're hungry enough will try eating anything especially when they're small, if they grew up together in the same household wouldn't usually be a problem.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

He won’t be there when you get back!
He will walk back to Maggie’s complaining the whole way about how you left him alone for a day…. ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I'm not sure about trusting cats if they're hungry enough will try eating anything especially when they're small, if they grew up together in the same household wouldn't usually be a problem.
I've always adopted older cats at humane societies. One common theme is they all like to bang cabinet doors they can't get open. Trust me, they're not always after food. Mischief?? Yes!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
One of my cats is a 34 lb.,Main Coon cat who simply cannot be fed enuf. I got him 2 years ago when he was 6 yrs. I feed 2 cats, 1/2 a can each and unlimited dry food daily. Simon literately will eat anything. He begs like a dog when I eat and he drools like a St Bernard while he's watching. At first I just ignored him...but now I am trying to figure out...does he have an eating disorder? (oh hell), is he just begging cuz he can? No matter how much food he recently has eaten, when he eats he makes purring noises and eats like he hasn't eaten in a week. He drops food while chewing, when I got him he was 32 lbs, so gaining 1 lb isn't bad, but, his 'figure' tells me he is thin. No parasites. He doesn't eat the dry food like crazy, but he does any thing else, including; grass, Brussels sprouts,cooked carrots, meat, bread, any people treats ( he loves the candy Hot Tamales), he loves ranch dressing and he is the only cat in my freakin life who will sneak food off my plate if I leave the room. How do I tell if I really am not feeding him enuf, is he mentally disturbed? Is he just a glutton? How do I know?
this is him on my queen sized bed...
100_0200.JPG
100_8037.JPG
he looks like he'd eat Houdini
100_7894.JPG
100_7793.JPG
Have you ever seen a cat who was tall enuf to stand on the floor and drink out of the toilet?
100_7526.JPG
2 years ago the Vet told me he had a slow growing melanoma in his right eye, in yellow iris was a small brown spot...this is that "slow growing" melanoma, no yellow in his iris anymore...
100_7517.JPG

willee638

HK
Beautiful animals, what about the red foot tortoise does he eat a lot? It seems like they get along fine and the cat isn't going to attempt to eat the red foot....