Oops He Did It Again

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
So I'm just waking up from a nap on the couch, it's 5:30 in the afternoon and there's a knock on my door. I go answer the door and my next door neighbor is there holding this little Red Foot Tortoise and she says,"does this belong to you he came walking up my driveway", now in order for him to go walking up the driveway he escaped from my yard and walked up the damn street. I'm lucky he didn't get run over and it's chilly here today so holy cats, I think I had a heart attack...
100_0291.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that bugger really just wants out no matter how good he has it.
I think by now I would have locked is arse in a bedroom and only let him out with a rope attached to him and then attached to me.
Sure hope is soon go be new home has built a fort Knox for him lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Frankly...I am hoping his new keeper has been paying attention to my stories. And yeah, I hope I make them funny, but I didn't make up any of that stuff either, you know I just kind of embellished on it and added the damn pictures, but this little this little red foot has more personality than any ten tortoises I ever ran into before. I am I can't believe I like this guy so much. He's a much more horrible tortoise than Mary Knobbins was...he has absolutely got to be kept in a real escape proof pen. And checked on a lot.
It took me a while to figure him out, but I'm thinkin I have now. Y said she thought that he was trying to escape to go back to his house that he was familiar with, but I don't think that's the case anymore. I think that he is just a busy little tort and just likes the contest of climbing on things and then he accidentally sort of gets out and goes on you know goes to town to see the elephant.(line from a movie) Sulcata are fairly active, but that's only for a few minutes then Mary naps in the sun. This little tortoise is busy every time you look at him. He's never sleeping in a corner he's never just sitting there he is always moving always climbing on things or trying to get out. He tried to get out of a pen that was surrounded by a 4-foot fence...really? Just relax! I sometimes just sit on the steps 5 or 6 feet away from him and watch him. Most tortoises stop whatever they are doing when they see you. but not this little red foot and so the other day I was sitting there on the stairs watching him and and just kind of laughing at him and you know what, he eats fruit or egg that I served to him on a Frisbee and so pretty soon flies are walking on it and he snaps at them. Cracks me up. Mary never notices stuff like that...
I rarely take a nap, but today I just felt kinda icky...and you see what happens when I'm not checking on them so often...they all party...

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Frankly...I am hoping his new keeper has been paying attention to my stories. And yeah, I hope I make them funny, but I didn't make up any of that stuff either, you know I just kind of embellished on it and added the damn pictures, but this little this little red foot has more personality than any ten tortoises I ever ran into before. I am I can't believe I like this guy so much. He's a much more horrible tortoise than Mary Knobbins was...he has absolutely got to be kept in a real escape proof pen. And checked on a lot.
It took me a while to figure him out, but I'm thinkin I have now. Y said she thought that he was trying to escape to go back to his house that he was familiar with, but I don't think that's the case anymore. I think that he is just a busy little tort and just likes the contest of climbing on things and then he accidentally sort of gets out and goes on you know goes to town to see the elephant.(line from a movie) Sulcata are fairly active, but that's only for a few minutes then Mary naps in the sun. This little tortoise is busy every time you look at him. He's never sleeping in a corner he's never just sitting there he is always moving always climbing on things or trying to get out. He tried to get out of a pen that was surrounded by a 4-foot fence...really? Just relax! I sometimes just sit on the steps 5 or 6 feet away from him and watch him. Most tortoises stop whatever they are doing when they see you. but not this little red foot and so the other day I was sitting there on the stairs watching him and and just kind of laughing at him and you know what, he eats fruit or egg that I served to him on a Frisbee and so pretty soon flies are walking on it and he snaps at them. Cracks me up. Mary never notices stuff like that...
I rarely take a nap, but today I just felt kinda icky...and you see what happens when I'm not checking on them so often...they all party...
Ok. Dan has to do all the household chores, cooking, cleaning, etc I'll be watching Houdini 24/7. Does Houdini sleep at night or does he watch TV all night?

If he didn't know before, he knows there's a much bigger world now since he went down the street today. Swell!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Ok. Dan has to do all the household chores, cooking, cleaning, etc I'll be watching Houdini 24/7. Does Houdini sleep at night or does he watch TV all night?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He came here in early May. He was panicked and tried to escape frantically. He was on his back probably 6 to 10 times a day.
He dozes and watches tv all night but he doesn't end up on his back at night.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
So I'm just waking up from a nap on the couch, it's 5:30 in the afternoon and there's a knock on my door. I go answer the door and my next door neighbor is there holding this little Red Foot Tortoise and she says,"does this belong to you he came walking up my driveway", now in order for him to go walking up the driveway he escaped from my yard and walked up the damn street. I'm lucky he didn't get run over and it's chilly here today so holy cats, I think I had a heart attack...
View attachment 331191

Maggie,
Have you ever seen the spikes ya stick in the middle of the yard …
then you tie a string to it ….
then you tie your red foot
(in a harness ) to the string and let him freely walk all over the place.
As long as it’s within the length of the string!!!!!

?‍♀️
This little guys got guts!!!
To walk all the way down the street?
Where’s he goin’?
Shoprite?
Tell him to bring back ice cream.?
That little booger pants! ?‍♀️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Maggie,
Have you ever seen the spikes ya stick in the middle of the yard …
then you tie a string to it ….
then you tie your red foot
(in a harness ) to the string and let him freely walk all over the place.
As long as it’s within the length of the string!!!!!

?‍♀️
This little guys got guts!!!
To walk all the way down the street?
Where’s he goin’?
Shoprite?
Tell him to bring back ice cream.?
That little booger pants! ?‍♀️

Better yet……
Tie him to Marry Knobbkins…..
SHE will show him!…..

??????????????

All I can see now in my head is :
The two of them end up in a tree hanging off a branch together (one on either side of the branch)
And when the wind blows they slap together like the old 80s fad “Quabanggers”…
???????????????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

If he didn't know before, he knows there's a much bigger world now since he went down the street today. Swell!!

Dear Jan,
Are YOU the one who’s taking Houdini as YOUR new pet???
I really hope so..because I think if anyone else took him , they would end up
“Getting rid of him in a month”….or so…
Most people don’t have the patience that Maggie does.
And EVEN SHE….. needed a nap!
?‍♀️

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So you are getting Houdini. You will have your hands full. Don't forget to keep us posted on his antics with you. I'm sure he will have a bunch of new ones to spring on you lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes, Jan A is getting Houdini the Jerk. You know it's funny, he irritates the crap outa me and he makes life harder for me cuz I got to go up and down those stairs a hundred times a day to check on him. So I really knew that he would be better off someplace else but when I read the stories that I wrote about him and look about the pictures it's it's kind of it's really kind of sad I think I'm going to miss him.Sorta. Maybe.
When he came to me in early May he was a 5 year old, 13 oz female Redfoot, bought for $400. Now he is a 1 or 2 year old, 2 lb 14 oz male Redfoot. The guy who brought him to me had only had him for a couple of weeks when he came and left him with me. Left him. You say your parents paid $400? And you dump him without qualms about that. I am glad that the keeper realized that he would be better off with someone else. I feel good about Houdini going to Jan. I know she will totally pay attention to him. In reading her description where she refers to herself as fat...not for long Jan. He's gonna run you ragged for about 3 months. If anyone is interested I'm gonna make a thread about this adventure with him, as I don't want to hijack this thread...and I got more to say about...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Mary Knobbins is looking like an angel ? compared to Hudini!

Actually, Monday she flipped the tire over on herself again, and due to my lack of attention to her, it looked like she had bee stuck for awhile. And she's getting bigger so she was really stuck...and so strong as she fights against me as her natural instincts...
100_0190.JPG

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yes, Jan A is getting Houdini the Jerk. You know it's funny, he irritates the crap outa me and he makes life harder for me cuz I got to go up and down those stairs a hundred times a day to check on him. So I really knew that he would be better off someplace else but when I read the stories that I wrote about him and look about the pictures it's it's kind of it's really kind of sad I think I'm going to miss him.Sorta. Maybe.
When he came to me in early May he was a 5 year old, 13 oz female Redfoot, bought for $400. Now he is a 1 or 2 year old, 2 lb 14 oz male Redfoot. The guy who brought him to me had only had him for a couple of weeks when he came and left him with me. Left him. You say your parents paid $400? And you dump him without qualms about that. I am glad that the keeper realized that he would be better off with someone else. I feel good about Houdini going to Jan. I know she will totally pay attention to him. In reading her description where she refers to herself as fat...not for long Jan. He's gonna run you ragged for about 3 months. If anyone is interested I'm gonna make a thread about this adventure with him, as I don't want to hijack this thread...and I got more to say about...
I love your stories, Maggie. In reading some of your stories about Bob last night, i'm starting to think Bob came back, reincarnated as Houdini. Never stop with the stories. You are such a good story teller.