One for the experts...Age Vs Size Vs pyrimiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Today I drove 6 hours to pick up a new redfoot :)
This lil lady?
006-5.jpg

is 4 years old within a few months and was purchased before the egg sac scar was fully closed. It has spent the last 3 years living in the owners diningroom with a dog dish, a blanket to burry in and a heat pad in the winter.... Keep in mind the average house up here is 70-74 room temp and alot cooler on a tile floor where its spent its life not to mention an average humidity of 40-50% at best.... It was oiled once a month and fed mostly dried tortoise pellets and veggies. This tortoise is just over 12.5 inches, its head is as big as a golf ball maybe bigger and it weighs too much for me to hold with one hand....and im a bigger guy lol.
This to me is insane as its shell isnt bad for pyrimiding at all (for canada anyways) and its super healthy and well GIANT compared to most of my other.....Older tortoises???
a perfect example here with another tort 5 years old with little pyrimiding kept in a 230 gallon aquarium and fed right from a care sheet on here
013.jpg

Its twice the size easy shell and body.... And a year younger....
Is this all because it grew up on the floor??? Is this a giant type of redfoot??? or just another fluke lol

and by living in his diningroom i mean..... No pen.... Just on the tile floor lives with little dogs and a toddler...

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
And not that Im doubting or challenging any of your guys care sheets as I respect them all..... I wish everyone ive met would have followed them.
I just want to know what may have caused this? If its a larger breed like the giant yellowfoot or if pen size is that big of a factor ect ect.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I still cant believe how she looks and her size, When he sent me pics and told me 4 years old it seemed to be less than half the size..... then he pulled her out of the tote and she was bigger than a bowling ball... I was speechless lol

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Despite the way it was raised that is a pretty animal. Maybe oiling the shell had something to do with it?

Does the person you got her from know the breeder? Looks like one from a guy named Stan who produces a lot up in Canada.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
he bought it from a pet store, Is stan on here?
I dont know too many breeders up here and from what I gather the few that do well only sell to the chain stores ect?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It Could Have Got Lots Of Exercise Living In The House

Status
Not open for further replies.