CHE VS Heat Rope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I've been doing a lot of reading on humility and heating the substrate and how it's better. I already have a CHE( but I can take it back to petsmart.). I was wondering if it was better if I did take it back and get heat rope and using that as a heat source vs a CHE.
This is for a baby redfoot, and I have already have a UVB and heat all in one bulb.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have used both in the same enclosure before,It depends on how big the enclosure is and how you set it up.I think it's easier to keep the humidity up with the heat tape.Len

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
It isn't that big, less or about 19in across. My main concern is will the heat rope be enough heat will the other bulb, or should I just stick with CHE? I would like to go the heat rope but I don't want the baby to be cold.

jbean7916

5 Year Member
I would go with the heat rope or heat tape like Flexwatt. I feel like it keeps the ground temps much warmer than the CHE (atleast with my set up).

I actually put the heat tape on the SIDE of the tub instead of under it. Seems to work great!

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I've re-turned the CHE and I'm going with the heat rope. The heat tape make me unconformable.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Coreyc linked to what I use. I really like the rope, but I do also use a CHE- but I use it on a thermostatic controller with the probe laying on the top of the substrate. The controller turns on the CHE when the temps are below the preset limit, and turns them off again when the temps are over the limit.

This makes a nice, relatively foolproof system that works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.