RF Weight vs Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
terryo said:
Wow! I'm reading all this stuff, and I gotta say....1lb. 10 oz....6 in. Isn't that much easier? Why would anyone want to go through all that, and do all that extra work, just to get what I just posted in one second??? I'll stick with pounds and oz.

If you have a tort that is about 7 3/4" long, you get this answer: (7.75^3) x 0.113 = 52.6 ounces. How many is that in pounds and ounces?

And standard is supposed to be easier :)

One of the big problems with standard is that it is not logical in a math sense. It is not easy to multiply or divide or convert the fractions it uses.

There is also the detail that there are 28.3 grams in an ounce, so if we had done this in metric we would know it was 23,859 grams without any further math at all.

The reason I find metric easier to work in, even as an American, is that I measure my torts in metric to start with, so no extra work. Besides, most vets and scientific publications, etc. do metric, so it is easier for me to work with.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you Mark, but from now on when I measure my tort and turts, I will send you the measurments and you can figure it out for me. I was never any good at Math. LOL

Michael Wolfe

5 Year Member
terracolson said:
yes Michael..its for all torts

Well good and it worked for my 14 year old leopard, and he is within 2 ounces of this equation... I converted everything to centimeters to do the calcualtion, but normally just talk old fashioned... he is 8.75 inches
long and 4lb 8oz and that is just about right!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, I think it was jolly rude of England to establish such an irregular system of weights and measures, and then force it onto their American colonies...so now while the rest of the world (including, in some respects, England herself) uses the much more logical metric system, I am still teaching the "U.S. customary" measurements to elementary school students! Just the other day, I decided to quiz them for fun (and points): how many cups in a pint? Pints in a quart? Quarts to a gallon? So...how many cups to a gallon? ;)

I remember being told as a 4th grade student that my generation would be converting to the metric system...it's funny but as much as I still visualize miles instead of kilometers, I really do believe it makes sense for us to convert...:cool:

Dang, I just did this Donoghue ratio on Taco (with the help of an online calculator) and she weighs 649g instead of the 764g that she should...:(

I wonder if some of that "weight" should be in her hollow, pyramided shell?

Man, this stinks. :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Stephanie Logan said:
Dang, I just did this Donoghue ratio on Taco (with the help of an online calculator) and she weighs 649g instead of the 764g that she should...:(

I wonder if some of that "weight" should be in her hollow, pyramided shell?

Man, this stinks. :(

What made the most difference with my guys, besides getting the humidity going better, was moist food- in the sense that greens are soaked or very fresh, more stalks (full of moisture and fiber), etc.

There is a BIG difference in how much water there is in a piece of fresh greens and in the greens we serve most of the time. Soaking or at least misting the food helps restore the losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.