Oliver update and question

alex_ornelas

Location (City and/or State)
newark ca
Oliver has grown since I got him almost two years ago. This is his update. I also wanted to ask as winter is approaching should I keep him in his out door enclosure or his inside enclosure this winter? Also keep in mind there is a stray cat that roams around but hasn't seen to bother him at all. What do you guys think ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441504650.447838.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441504664.224584.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
does he have access to a heated shed in his outdoor enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's big enough to stay outside full time, if he has a proper heated house.

This late in the season, I would wait until late March or April to make the move to outside full time if you can swing housing a biggun' indoors over winter. Leave him outside all day, weather permitting, but still bring him in at night, or leave him in on colder days. They do better when housed indoors anyway.

alex_ornelas

newark ca
He's big enough to stay outside full time, if he has a proper heated house.

This late in the season, I would wait until late March or April to make the move to outside full time if you can swing housing a biggun' indoors over winter. Leave him outside all day, weather permitting, but still bring him in at night, or leave him in on colder days. They do better when housed indoors anyway.
Thanks Tom, nothing is set up yet so that's y I asked. His outdoor enclosure is made of really thick plexie glass I think.i can post pictures of it tomorrow morning. But the guy I got it from lives here in my town who had a full grown sulcata. He just had one single lamp hanging from the top and said it was fine and it stayed warm. What do you suggest?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Oliver has grown since I got him almost two years ago. This is his update. I also wanted to ask as winter is approaching should I keep him in his out door enclosure or his inside enclosure this winter? Also keep in mind there is a stray cat that roams around but hasn't seen to bother him at all. What do you guys think View attachment 147094View attachment 147095

He looks SO great!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I've posted pictures of Bob's shed before. It's 20'X12". It has a DeLonghi heater, that keeps it at 85-90 degrees. It is totally insulated then covered with another sheet of plywood. The floor is insulated with those styrofoam sheets. The walls and ceiling are insulated with that pink fuzz. There is a 150 watt Powersun, for a big tortoise and a 100 watt Powersun for Queenie, she's in the house tho now, because I can't handle going into that shed yet. Smells just like him, and I can't deal. But that shed holds the temperature, and added about $15 to my bill. He lived comfortably in it for 9 years....

alex_ornelas

newark ca
I've posted pictures of Bob's shed before. It's 20'X12". It has a DeLonghi heater, that keeps it at 85-90 degrees. It is totally insulated then covered with another sheet of plywood. The floor is insulated with those styrofoam sheets. The walls and ceiling are insulated with that pink fuzz. There is a 150 watt Powersun, for a big tortoise and a 100 watt Powersun for Queenie, she's in the house tho now, because I can't handle going into that shed yet. Smells just like him, and I can't deal. But that shed holds the temperature, and added about $15 to my bill. He lived comfortably in it for 9 years....
Thanks Maggie and my condolences.

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
Did I miss something? What happened to Bob?