Okay unconventional slate option?

Laceyrm06

Location (City and/or State)
NC
I’m setting up a temporary enclosure for the Russian hatchling that we will be getting (on Tuesday [emoji1373]).

The temporary set-up will be in a plastic storage tote. I’m not finding many options for a slate tile to feed her on that won’t take up a large portion of this set-up.

I’m a crafter and was wondering if a clean (washed) slate chalkboard would be an alright alternative to a tile from a home improvement store. I believe it would be the same thing, but wanted to check with more experienced tortoise keepers.

This is what I’m looking at. I would remove the wooden frame so that it would just be the slate piece. IMG_3961.jpgIMG_3962.jpg

dmilam

North Texas
I’m sure someone will chime in but you might also consider slate dishes or slate coasters. Might be small enough?

Laceyrm06

NC
I’m sure someone will chime in but you might also consider slate dishes or slate coasters. Might be small enough?

That would be another option that would be smaller. I did see that Michael’s carries four packs of slate coasters. Thanks!

dmilam

North Texas
I use the lid from a wonton soup takeout as a food plate. It has a little ridge around the edge and it’s simple to wash and reuse. My tortoise is only 2”.

Laceyrm06

NC
I plan to get a terra-cotta saucer for a water dish, so I suppose I could get an extra as a food dish. I’ve seen that slate helps keep their beak and nails from becoming overgrown, not sure if the terra-cotta would do the same. [emoji848]

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How about a lonely Tupperware lid you must have a few. I use slate for both but I scored a craigslist paver years ago I was saving. Add I rock hammer and boom several usable pieces. They will poop on it so make sure it’s cleanable