Tiling an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've seen suggestions for pond liners and linoleum for waterproofing a tortoise enclosure, but has anyone tried doing the entire floor and sides in tile, like ceramic or slate? It seems like it'd stand up to a digging tortoise better than anything else, being stone and all.

Only thing I'm not sure if is how to attach them and what to put in between them. Are their grouts and things that would be safe? Has anyone else tried?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I watch a lot of DIY network TV and the Home and Garden channel. I especially like Holmes on Homes. I could tell you exactly how to fix a leaky tile shower stall! In my mind's eye, I LOVE the look of a tiled tortoise habitat. You could even underlay it with that orange water-proof sheet stuff they put down before the tile. I imagine it would be awfully costly, but it would sure look purdy. I think that after the grout had cured, it would not send out any toxic stuff into the substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You would have to put a sealer on the grout. Or you could get the much more expensive epoxy grout, sealer is in it. But then, yes it would not hurt them. If you were doing this for an outdoor enclosure, the porcelain tile would work great and stands up to all weather, even freezing. I do all my own tiling. It is great fun to do. Would make a beautiful enclosure that would last a long time.

wildak

5 Year Member
You could also get the heat mesh that is designed to go under the tile. I don't know if I would put it on the floor but you could put it on the walls of the enclosure for heat.

As long as you put a good amount of substrate on top of the tile as they would get splayed walking on smooth tile.

Just use the glue made for the tile and grout sealer as mentioned above. I thought some of the small river stone looking ones that are attached to the backing mesh would look really good.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hm, heat mesh is an interesting idea :O

This would be for an indoor enclosure, with substrate over top.

I'll have to look into prices, since this is going to be a 4x4 'grow out' enclosure for my red foot til she needs her adult sized one in a few years. But if I do I'll get something cheap for the bottom you never see, but something prettier for the sides.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
heavy.. thats what Id worry about too.. plus they love to dig.. and burrow..
Ive used paving stones to stop from digging out.. same thing I guess,, but dirt over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.