Oh @Tom...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've totally seen that commercial i have one question tho when your animals are in a commercial is a trainer the one handling them like the person holding the dog in the above photo? or is it done on command

It happens both ways. Sometimes we insist on a trainer for some things and other times we let them use an actor like in that one above.

That is one of the fun, and yet maddening, things about my business is that it is always something different. Every single day brings new challenges and you must be able to adapt quickly and think on your feet.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
It happens both ways. Sometimes we insist on a trainer for some things and other times we let them use an actor like in that one above.

That is one of the fun, and yet maddening, things about my business is that it is always something different. Every single day brings new challenges and you must be able to adapt quickly and think on your feet.

is this yours tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...that's the dog I was referring to in my original post here. He was in the running for an award for that bit. I'd be willing to bet that the dog and the actor were not together during that. It looks like the slobber never actually gets him in the face.

Tom: Do you ever worry that in the heat of the moment the dog might forget he's acting and actually go after someone?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
is this yours tom

Yes. That is my boy Seven. You want to know the coolest part of that story?

Prior to that shoot day, I had only ever worked with Jim Carrey one other time. It was about 8 years ago on his film "Yes Man". Remember that movie? Guess what the action was? I did that one with Seven's father Bullet.

In both films we actually did the action in Jim's face with no camera tricks or digital "fixing" in post.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Yes. That is my boy Seven. You want to know the coolest part of that story?

Prior to that shoot day, I had only ever worked with Jim Carrey one other time. It was about 8 years ago on his film "Yes Man". Remember that movie? Guess what the action was? I did that one with Seven's father Bullet.

In both films we actually did the action in Jim's face with no camera tricks or digital "fixing" in post.

where's there anyone in the car holding him back? to be 100% honest i'd probably be peeing down my leg if i had to do that lol he looks legit like he wants to eat him

was that bullet in the yes man where he falls down the stairs face to face?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow...you've gotta' give Jim Carey credit. No way I would have been able to 'act' like he did in the face of that dog.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah...that's the dog I was referring to in my original post here. He was in the running for an award for that bit. I'd be willing to bet that the dog and the actor were not together during that. It looks like the slobber never actually gets him in the face.

Tom: Do you ever worry that in the heat of the moment the dog might forget he's acting and actually go after someone?

They were together. He did have to wipe his face after each take. I don't remember there being that much slobber, so they might have added some in post, but the two of them really were face to face.

I can only do things like this with certain dogs. We work up to this level over years, so by the time I get to set for a job, I already know exactly where that line is and how far I can or can't push. I've only had a couple of accidents on set and both were with other people's dogs that were just not handled correctly and neither time was an aggression sequence.

When my dogs are doing that action they are not acting. Its real aggression, but its contained and controlled. For this scene I told the dog to stay in the car. He can only reach out so far, so as long as my actor stays out of reach there can be no contact. I KNOW the dog won't leave the car because I have trained and tested it many many times under much heavier levels of distraction and incentive to leave the car. I can also shut the dogs down with a word from any distance, and this too has been tested many times. Like what you saw with Bullet at your house. That behavior stops as soon as the cue stops.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
where's there anyone in the car holding him back? to be 100% honest i'd probably be peeing down my leg if i had to do that lol he looks legit like he wants to eat him

was that bullet in the yes man where he falls down the stairs face to face?

No one holding him in the car. I just told him to stay in there. I was really not happy about scratching up that gorgeous car though...

Yvonne has seen it first hand. She didn't want to see it twice. :)

Yes that was Bullet at the bottom of the stairs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow...you've gotta' give Jim Carey credit. No way I would have been able to 'act' like he did in the face of that dog.

On both of the two days I worked with him he was very friendly, easy going and professional. The dude is a master of his craft. When the camera is on he hits his lines and delivers a flawless performance every time. Makes for a nice shoot day for the whole crew.

He was not afraid of the dog at all and petted both of them after the scenes were done.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When we met Seven, Tom commanded him to react in a very protective way, showing teeth and all. He wasn't in our face like above and Tom had him on leash, but, if I had met that dog in any other situation, I would have probably peed myself too. That was about two or three summers ago. He is a very impressive dog for sure.

I have seen that commercial several times with Sophie. Didn't know, she was yours, but I remember saying to Hubby that there must be a lot of the Belgians Malinois in show biz.

Sorry about your Dane Tom.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Tom i give you some major credit that's some serious dedication to your animals

and i alway's thought my little female pitbull sasha was well trained she couldn't hold a candle to these guys lol

here i was already jealous of you because of the tort stuff you do, now you add a notch lol

the big question tho which came first dogs or torts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
the big question tho which came first dogs or torts?

Got my first dog at 5 years old and my second at 6. My parents had weiner dogs when I was younger but got rid of them for biting me. Got my first Chelonian (box turtle) at age 7. Started taking care of turtles and tortoises as a job at age 14. Didn't start training dogs until age 19. Started training parrots at 14. Got my first sulcata at age 20.

I guess its been pretty concurrent.