nutrient soaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
I was just wondering if putting calcium in the water my turtle soak and drink from would be good or not...i sprinkle it on their food but usually they dont eat the veggies.....also on another note would giving them a baby food bath be OK?....

i make them a mash of food and they refuse it...they want bugs and worms all the time!..and they wont nibble the cuttlebones....any ideas?

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
What about drizzling calcium water on the food ? Baby food might get sticky. U can try feeding the worms calcium rich foods for a few days before the turtles get them . Also once or twice a week I give mine some rep cal box turtle diet . They LOVE it, and it has all the vitamins and minerals in it ...

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
make a paste of your vit powder and use a syringe to inject it into a fact earthworm, just dont over do it i wouldnt add it to the water as it might not be too good on the eyes

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Something that worked for me was offering worms only every fourth day and keeping what I wanted them to eat in front of them all the time. That came about because I got a turtle for a coworker, I gave her clear instructions about her care.she ignored that and only fed worms.the turtle eventually broke her collar bone and can't use that arm.the owner who I no longer worked with had been telling me she was doing good. Then she called and said she couldn't use her leg and the vet had told her she had mbd and would have a shortened life. I said I would take her back and she should immediately change her diet. They said she only liked worms and wouldn't eat anything else.I said keep trying you can get her to change. Just keep trying. Months later she again calls and says she is now not using her other front leg.I again almost begged to take her home (buy if needed) her back. It took another month of me pestering to get them to give her up. Not because they couldn't do it but because they didn't. I finally got her back and within about a month she was eating reptomin and veggies etc. she is now growing and gets around ok. That's my Georgina (there are pix of her on here now). I told them that if your kids only liked ice cream would you let them only eat that. I say no. I only gave her worms every fourth day and kept the other stuff in front of her all the time. She wouldn't starve but she got mighty hungry and decided it wasn't half bad. A few months later she eats almost everything and is growing. Yea!!!!!!! You are NO comparison as far as care!! I know that!! That is NOT my intent.I just wanted to share a sad story of how I had to do exactly what you are doing. The only difference being that in my case it had already done a lot of damage. Just keep trying. Georgina now loves reptomin with calcium on it and I feel good about that because it has all her vitamins in it too. That makes me smile! ;) She also eats broccoli, shredded carrots, green beans, tomatoes, banana, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, dandelions,etc. I am SO relieved I was able to get her to eat other stuff. Yippee! ;) good luck!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I soak my boxies in a baby food, or pureed carrot bath every once in a while. I also add herbs. It seems to have helped with Waldos RI. He is eatting worms now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.