Now what ..babies!

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
IMG_7385.JPG I have 2 female adault Florida Box turtles I kinda inherited from a gal who was moving & couldn't keep 'em. Set them up in outside surround & basically feed & water them.

Last year I got a male ( long story ). Put him in there but he wouldn't leave the girls alone so I found a good home for him.

Now, almost a year later , I find this in the surround while cleaning out their " pond".

Searched & searched but these 2 are all I could find. But their surround is large & fully planted. Would be hard to find anything so small.

So....

Was not really intending to raise babies. Thought about just letting the little fellas go in the woods. But I know they probably have less than a 5% chance of survival. I might still do that. Nature is nature.

But...a part of me says, just set up an enclosure & raise 'em. See if you can. Might be fun , yada, yada,yada ..

I'm aware it takes a permit to keep more than 2 Florida Boxies - at least I think so. But easy to get.

Never raised a baby boxy. Really would have to study how to do it. Ask for help. They are SO SMALL! Whata they eat? Ants? Lol.

Any help, guidance , or suggestions would be appreciated. You all are great.

Conflicted.
Me

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think you should set them up and raise them! You can try feeding them black soldier fly larvae, red wigglers, omega one turtle pellets, all kinds of wiggly live food. In a few months they may start nibbling at some berries or spring mix. For now lots of bugs! No ants though!

Keep them warm and humid with a large flat type water saucer. At that size maybe a Tupperware lid.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Some people like to raise their Florida babies in a Rubbermaid tub with about a quarter inch of water and some peices of slate so they can crawl out and dry off. You can add some sphagnum moss, fake plants and some hides to give them security. They need super high humidity for the first year so their shells form properly. Of couse, being in Florida you could set up the tub outside in mostly shade and all the humidity you need will be provided by nature.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep them you can do it. Maybe just leave them where they hatched. They'd probably do fine there. Maybe some slight adjustments needed.

Alaskamike

South Florida
IMG_7393.JPG Well ... I did take these two out & put them in a plastic cement mixer container.

Last year , I found one baby ( a bit bigger than these) & just left it in the surround. Could still be there , but haven't seen any again until these 2.

Decided to give it a go , so set them up this morning.

Alaskamike

South Florida
IMG_7395.JPG IMG_7396.JPG They are exploring. I have two coffee container lids in there , made 'em "lakes" so they can drink & soak.
In. Half hour I could no longer see them. Musta dug in under the purslanes.

I can move this around , out of the sun as it gets hot.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Great looking setup. They should do well in there. My Florida babies were started on Reptomin juvenile. I added Omega One juvenile and they also like pill bugs, small soldier fly larvae, earthworms, dubai roaches, hornworms, and nibble a bit on blackberries and peaches. The added advantage of keeping them outside is the occasional bug that crawls or flies in on its own. Free snacks!

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Musta dug in under the purslanes.

Purslane?? I can't find any pics of purslane looking like that, not even sea purslane.

Purslane:
purslane-weed.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just be sure to water their area daily. Because they are so small, their little bodies (insides) dry out very easily and quickly.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Just be sure to water their area daily. Because they are so small, their little bodies (insides) dry out very easily and quickly.
Thanks Yvonne.
Yes. I'll get it good and wet daily.
We get a good rain about every other day now - that helps.