Can any one help identify this little guy?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toducky4me

5 Year Member
So a guy in my office had this turtle/tortoise and when he left the office, he left this little guy behind. He had named him Speedy. I stepped up and decided to take him home. My autistic son loves him. He will sit and stare at him for hours. Anywho, I have been on the hunt to find out what he is? I really need to know so that we can get the right food, care, habitat, yada yada yada. I have no info on him. Can anyone help me please????

speedy1_zps23019c53.jpg
[/URL][/img]

speedy2_zps839e75d2.jpg
[/URL][/img]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). It is a box turtle. I am not positive on what kind of box. But thinking three toed

Toducky4me

5 Year Member
Thanks! Three toed? He has more than three toes though. He has orange eyes and orange to reddish spots on his legs and neck. From what I have seen in the office he likes to burrow and he has hibernated. A pet store said maybe a red footed tortoise but they were not sure either. My other question is that the previous owner did not have much water other than a water bottle in his cage. This cant be good for a box turtle? I'm so worried hes been improperly cared for and would like to turn his little life around. :(

Toducky4me

5 Year Member
So my hubby is in agreement that Mr. Speedy is a three toed box turtle. But on the flip side, he wants a tortoise now too! I guess we are off on a new adventure! Thanks so much for your help!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Could you please give him a warm soak? It looks like he's a bit dry and in need of a soak. Put him in a plastic container and add warm water just up to the legs (about 2-3 inches).

Toducky4me

5 Year Member
Sylvia, thanks for your advice. We did. He appeared to be very content in it. He is now enjoying a little snack and tomorrow we are getting the appropriate food and going to build him a nice, larger living space with the necessities that he needs. Sorry if I sound uneducated in the world of turtles, because I am. I am quickly learning and am greatly appreciative of all the advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't worry about not knowing everything. We have all been newbies at one time. We are always here to help in any way possible. You will find all the best and correct info on this forum.
Now, after you get the Turtle all set up, what kind of tortoise are you looking at?:D

Toducky4me

5 Year Member
Thank you guys so much. Google just wasn't cutting it and I found the site and thought heck why not. As for the tortoise, I really have no idea. That would be another newbie question! Recommendations? :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Definitely a three toed boxie. The name comes from the number of toes on the back feet. Also, these guys LOVE swimming and can handle deeper water. Mine will go in over their heads and sit with just their heads above the water. As long as they can get out of the water, they are fine. We use oil pans with a brick in them for swimming holes in the garden. He is a beautiful little guy by the way. You are lucky to get him. I can't believe someone would just walk away from him! In my experience, they love worms, super worms, strawberries, bananas, squash, tomatoes, hard boiled egg whites, boiled or broiled plain chicken and raw lean beef.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thank you for giving him some water. My heart goes out for turtles that seem parched. I believe you will provide an adequate home for this little guy.:) Box turtles love to dip and swim in a pool or pond of water.
Toducky4me said:
Sylvia, thanks for your advice. We did. He appeared to be very content in it. He is now enjoying a little snack and tomorrow we are getting the appropriate food and going to build him a nice, larger living space with the necessities that he needs. Sorry if I sound uneducated in the world of turtles, because I am. I am quickly learning and am greatly appreciative of all the advice!

Toducky4me

5 Year Member
This little guy has been awesome. We have only had him 3 days but very excited to take care of him correctly. He had a banana snack earlier and you would have thought he was in heaven, first a swim and then a snack! I cant wait to get him fully set up and living the good life. Question though, for indoor habitats what is recommended? I don't like him in the terrarium he came in, it feels too small. The other guy has mulch on the bottom.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Toducky4me said:
So my hubby is in agreement that Mr. Speedy is a three toed box turtle. But on the flip side, he wants a tortoise now too! I guess we are off on a new adventure! Thanks so much for your help!

Welcome to TFO! And you certainly came to the right place for that adventure. Your new friend is cool and I love hearing that your little son is enchanted by the little turtle. The little turtle had a journey and it looks like it must be to be with your family. Yay! : )

And this is the best place for learning. Read-read-read, so much to read, and ask away. So many helpful people here and lots of collective experience. : )

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
DSCN0605 (640x480).jpgDSCN0608 (640x480).jpgDSCN0609 (640x480).jpgDSCN0610 (640x480).jpgDSCN0611 (640x480).jpg
Toducky4me said:
This little guy has been awesome. We have only had him 3 days but very excited to take care of him correctly. He had a banana snack earlier and you would have thought he was in heaven, first a swim and then a snack! I cant wait to get him fully set up and living the good life. Question though, for indoor habitats what is recommended? I don't like him in the terrarium he came in, it feels too small. The other guy has mulch on the bottom.

Build him a tortoise table. My indoor one is about 6 x 2. I wish it was a little wider but it was all I could do at the time. I built it out of 2 x 4's and lined it with plastic sheeting. For substrate I used some organic potting soil mixed with coco coir. Planted some Monkey Grass and some ornamental plants from Home depot and used a 16" terra cotta pot bottom for the pool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
as big as you can! outside in summer.. if you don't keep them warm and proper lighting, he will go to sleep for winter...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Look how totally happy-happy he looks in his very own terra cotta ahhhh-spaaaa saucer. You did a wonderful job whipping that habitat up. Love his landscaping. This little turtle found a lovely home ... better than at the office, for sure. Did your little son keep his Speedy name? Sometimes children have their own name ideas.

Toducky4me

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380403228.888216.jpg
So it's been a week and Speedy has started to fit in nicely to his new home. Thanks for the planter bottom idea for his soaking dish. He's loves it. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.