Dilema. Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

andred82vert

5 Year Member
So after I got Mortimer, i was telling everyone at work about my baby tortoise and about how he lives in a super cool enclosure yada yada yada......
Well, one of my co-workers bought a baby sulcata for her daughter a couple of months ago and asked me if i wanted it because her daughter lost interest.
I didn't want to be the moral police and try to give her grief for not wanting to take care of such a beautiful animal or lecture her about responsibilities.... I simply said, "I'll think about it".

Honestly, I think I can give the baby a better home/environment. (they have the tort in a large "kritter Keeper"). I'm worried if I adopt my co-worker's baby sulcata (probably 3 months old. Mortimer is 1.5 months) might bully Mortimer to death. Would I have to feed them separatley? I know I would have to quarantine.

Should I adopt?

M

Maggie Cummings

Only you know if you should adopt or not. You need to take into account you will have to keep them separate for a minimum of 3 months. So that means 2 complete habitats, then when they are big enough do you have the yard that will hold 2 Sulcata? Is your grass edible/enough for them?
At the age they are they should be close to the same size. If nothing else you can keep the tort and try to find a better home for it. So that's it in my opinion, adopt yourself or find a forever home for it, that way you are still getting it out of a bad situation.... You don't want to adopt it then 3 or 4 years down the road you see you can't support 2 Sulcata.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I think if you have the space and resources now definetly get it outa that situation. When your co worker gets desperate she will likely give it to anyone. Then I'm sure you could find a good suitable owner if you cant keep it. But at least you know what these guys require and can find the right person to own it. And also you'll be able to print out care sheets and fully inform the new owner. It's always sucks when you get put in this situation. I always feel like I have to save the world when someone approaches me like that. Hope everything goes well.

andred82vert

5 Year Member
thanks for the replies :) Yeah, i'm afraid that if i dont adopt the tort, she might give it to someone less knowledgeable, or worse, release it at some park. Quaratine is no big problem, I have a spare tub and lights.

I know how you feel Jessica. I"m such a big softie for aminals

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I agree with Maggie, take him if you can and find a forever home if needed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you have the space to do so you should do so, If you feel like taking it on a temporary basis until you can find a more permament home that you should do that too.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think you really have to take the baby from your coworker, and the rest depends on the space you have, if you have a lot keep it or if you do not, find him a forever home (well that is what I would do). Good luck and let us know what you decide!

andred82vert

5 Year Member
Isa said:
I think you really have to take the baby from your coworker, and the rest depends on the space you have, if you have a lot keep it or if you do not, find him a forever home (well that is what I would do). Good luck and let us know what you decide!

So...I decided to adopt the baby tort. I picked him up just a couple of hours ago after work. I guess i'll keep him until I find someone who can give him a "forever home" lol. I just hope I dont get too attached!

btw, I named the little guy, "Sir Galahad"

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congratulations :D You did a very good thing. I am sure Sir Galahad is super happy now. Do you have any pics of him :D?

andred82vert

5 Year Member
The first thing he did was run straight to his hide, dug a shallow hole, and slept! I think the uvb flourescent light is bothering him because he never comes out when its on. But he ate a ton yesterday and poops frequently.
BTW, Sir Galahad is in quarantine right now, I just put them close together just for the pictures.

Mortimer and Sir Galahad! (Mort is the smaller one)
IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

I appreciate you taking in this little tortoise. Quarantine him until Feb 15. Starting in January you should start putting them together so they get used to each other and Sir Galli doesn't bully Mortimer. We have another forum member who's tortoise is called Gali so I kinda think maybe your Sir Gali needs another name(?)

andred82vert

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I appreciate you taking in this little tortoise. Quarantine him until Feb 15. Starting in January you should start putting them together so they get used to each other and Sir Galli doesn't bully Mortimer. We have another forum member who's tortoise is called Gali so I kinda think maybe your Sir Gali needs another name(?)

Oh, alright then. I now dub him....Sir Percival! One of the three Grail Knights. ( Galahad and Bors were the other two. lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.