Now I'm hooked

mike thornton

Location (City and/or State)
Kauai
So recently I found the tortoise crossing the highway and even more recently I found the owner and returned the tortoise. But now my kids and even myself are very much missing the tortoise and have updated my enclosure and find myself anxiously wanting another tortoise to keep forever. So the question I have for you experienced owners is can a hatchling be raised in an outdoor pen with high humidity and grass and a shallow water dish? Or should I try and acquire something that is already 4 inches or 6 inches and a little more grown-up ? Any input would be great and when I get home from work I will post a picture of the updated enclosure thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Glad the other tort got home safely and happy you've been hooked.
An older tortoise would be a better bet, especially if you're working and have young kids.
Hatchlings require a bit more care and attention and are far more vulnerable, even in a controlled indoor environment.
Go for something in the middle, perhaps.
(my opinion)

mike thornton

Kauai
Glad the other tort got home safely and happy you've been hooked.
An older tortoise would be a better bet, especially if you're working and have young kids.
Hatchlings require a bit more care and attention and are far more vulnerable, even in a controlled indoor environment.
Go for something in the middle, perhaps.
(my opinion)

That was my first thought and thank you

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, and wishing you GOOD LUCK in the tort you choose.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't like keeping hatchlings outside, personally.at least not 24/7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too wouldn't keep a hatchling outside 24/7. Way too much that can go wrong. I did put mine outside during the warm days and in at night. Better control of their raising, temps/humidity and eating when brought inside. However, if all precautions are made, I guess you could set them up outside safely too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep hatchlings indoors for the first year. It's easier to monitor their conditions indoors.

mike thornton

Kauai
image.jpg image.jpg
Don't mind the stone on top of the hut my son said he needed to build a chimney for the house lol

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
I would provide some more hiding oppertunities in there no matter what size of tort you get. Some logs to climb over as well, maybe some areas with loose dirt so the tort can burrow (would obviously depend on species as some like digging more than others).

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Very nice job!!
Please don't trust the good looking dog. Even the nicest, chew tortoises.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is a beautiful enclosure. I agree with all of the above and support rescuing an older tortoise.
I would also offer a warning about the dog. My dog didn't bother my tortoise for years until 1 day she did. I got lucky, he was pretty scraped up, but no punctures or crushing. He will always have scars though. A tortoise is like a walking bone.

mike thornton

Kauai
That's my 8 year old bullmastiff he's only let out under supervision he lives in the house and porch obvisly not allowed in enclosure

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lovely enclosure but if you get one old enough to live outside you would need to make it safe from predators and make sure the temps are high enough at night. So maybe have a heated night box you could lock it in at night. Good luck in your search.

mike thornton

Kauai
I'm lucky enough to live in an area where we do not have natural predators per se unless a house cat would be interested in attacking the tortoises I am going to put a ceramic heater in the top of that box controlled by the thermostat and planned on setting it to 75° is that good or do I need to adjust the temperature I will be getting a red footed tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm lucky enough to live in an area where we do not have natural predators per se unless a house cat would be interested in attacking the tortoises I am going to put a ceramic heater in the top of that box controlled by the thermostat and planned on setting it to 75° is that good or do I need to adjust the temperature I will be getting a red footed tortoise
If you check the caresheets for the species you want that will tell you all about temps/humidity /diet etc, Theres a good Enclosures thread for ideas and I found the Beginner's Mistakes thread useful too for dos and donts.
Yes house cats can do some serious damage to torts! Do a search and see what pops up there is one thread about a particularly nasty cat attack. Birds can go for eyes. Rats too are a danger, My leopard was a lost but never found tort, so he adopted me, but he has a rear foot missing - probably rats,and there is a thread on Tortoises in the News about an old tort who lost 3 of her feel/legs to rats so better safe than sorry.