guilt and heartbreak.

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Today I am reaching out just for support during a hard time.

Recently I had found that my adult female Florida box turtle, Beans, had laid eggs in her enclosure. While I was moving some things around, I unearthed a nest of two eggs. Both of her previous batches had yielded only 2 eggs, so I was excited, covered them back up, barricaded them off, and put the date on my calendar.
So I was digging around in another spot in the pen and found three more eggs! Wow! How exciting! Five total! I covered them up and barricaded them off as well.

And that was that.

However, this morning when I went out, I found a dead baby in the water. I am heartbroken. I poked around and found where he had hatched from -- and there was another egg there too. Unfortunately, the other egg had been found by ants (I assume because they were attracted to the egg that had hatched). I am upset at myself for missing this third nest, and not being able to protect this sweet little baby. If I had blocked this nest off, the little baby would have been safe inside its walls, and wouldn't have drowned. I feel guilty. I feel sad. I feel gross. I am finding it impossible to not blame myself for this beautiful little creature's death.

So mostly, this post is just to "speak" my heartbreak. To help myself to cope with the loss of such a sweet innocent thing.

Thanks, fellow tortoise-forum-ers, for your continued help and support!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Woulda, coulda, shoulda..." We've all been there with one thing or another. I love the alcoholics' serenity prayer:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference."

Accept that there is nothing you can do about it now, and go on from here. I'm sorry about losing the little baby. Baby box turtles are so darned cute, but little floridas are exceptionally cute.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I fully understand your loss and guilt. I lost a baby boxie that I sa ed when I happened to see it come out of the ground. I thought it be safer with me than trying to cross the street, or dodge a bird. It had lived and thrived for most of the winter without heat inside my 75 degree house, until I decided to put a heat pad inside his enclosure. My 4 month baby cooked to death. He just sat on the heating pad and in the morning, he was gone. So, I feel your pain, but like Yvonne said, I should have, could have, would have can't bring back the baby. We can only learn from it and move on. Take the time you need to grieve, but then care for the ones you have coming. Best to you, and I send my hugs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. If you would have known, you would have done something. It's not like you didn't or don't care. You shouldn't blame yourself, you didn't know.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yvonne is right. We have ALL been there before. I still think of mistakes I made years ago but I've also matured enough to just learn from it and move on. Regardless of all the expertise out there this hobby still involves tons of trial and error. Head up!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Sorry for your loss. You had no way of knowing there was another nest or you would have blocked it off so do not blame yourself.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I hope you feel better soon! Don't worry, a lot of things could have been a way, just go and live today! Nests where made to be hidden from predators, it's only natural that you didn't see one.You may have better hatchlings next year. The guilt is only because you are a good person who CARES about animals and does not want them to suffer. It's natural to feel guilty a bit today, just don't keep thinking about it and good luck.

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you all for your kind words and support. It's helpful to hear from others :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
As it always goes Yvonne G. Is always right and always knows just how to say it . We all thank you for finding just the right words .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm so sorry! I don't think there was anything you could have done.
At least you know where the other two nests are! I hope they hatch safely and that you feel better soon :<3: