Not sure what i am doing....

Krys Newnum

Hi, my name is Krys, I live in Arkansas, and I have recently (as in last week) acquired a 6 mo old Sulcata. a woman who worked with my husband gave "her" to us or should I say him, and I have NO clue where to start. I have researched care sheets and habitats and diet and everything and find more contradicting info than agreeing.... :( I am the kind of person that when I take an animal in it becomes family and as such I want to provide the best I can for it. She is about 4.5-5 inches from the front of her shell to the back, if that is how you even measure them. I have attached a close up of her and a pic of the enclosure we have for her. now before the comments start. I got her 4 days ago and have been running like a fool trying to get what everyone and their brother says she needs. I currently have: a 20 L tank, UVB long bulb, 100W infra red bulb, basking stone, darkened enclosure, aspen shavings and coconut coir for medium, I soak her daily (15 min), her temp is 75-85 depending on day or night, humidity is holding at 50-60%, I feed her collards, turnip, and Bermuda, with pellets of grass and a calcium and mineral spray (so basically a salad with croutons and spritz dressing :D), her shell is already "lumpy" but reading what I have on your ending pyramid thread, I want to stop it from continuing. I am hoping for someone to look at what I have and suggest what I should change or add.

IMG952031.jpg IMG952034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome! I keep different torts and i'm not sure on the needs of Sulcatas, we'll let the others chime in on that one...
Just wanted to say hello and you're in good hands here :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. The contradicting info is frustrating. Priority is to get humidity and temps up. Cover the enclosure. 80F and 80% is mimimums you're shooting for. Use all coco Coir and keep it moist. Provide as much variety in the diet as you can. He is going to need a much bigger enclosure soon.
Read all the care guides in the Sulcata section and ask lots of questions.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
+1 on being in the right place.

I am sure the experts will be along to help shortly.

Congratulations & much respect for taking on the responsibility. The Tort is in good hands now!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If the basking rock is a heat rock, take it out. These cause burns for tortoises. The red bulb will confuse him, and cause him to eat the substrate. For night heat a CHE on a thermostat is ideal. Use a regular bulb for basking since you have UVB bulb already.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I would:
Get rid of the wood shavings and just use the coconut coir. Get a plastic hide hut (it will help with humidity). Get a plant saucer to replace his water bowl. It needs to be big enough for him to walk into it and soak himself. Get rid of the infrared light and replace it with a CHE (the red light disturbs the tort at night) Make sure your uv bulb isn't a coil bulb cause they hurt tortoises eyes. If it is replace it with a mercury vapor bulb.

Most important thing is temps and humidity. I would keep the humidity above 60% Easy way to control this is to get a cover for the top and spray water into the habitat.

Good luck!!!

Alaskamike

South Florida
You got this tortoise just in time. He / she is still young enough to halt the pyramiding.

I have a few simple suggestions -

Stick to this forum for your information. The conflicts you find here are minor and " best care" practices are the most accurite.

Think seriously about a bigger enclosure. A 6" Sulcata will be miserable in a 20L tank. Not enough floor space. And he will grow - rapidly with good care. The enclosure section has many good and economical alternatives.

Don't get frustrated with the many suggestions you will get. Everyone here has you're and the torts best interests in mind. Remember. These creatures are long lived , get very large , and can be with you for life. The care you give now pays big dividends in the future.

There are a few issues that are paramount
- uV light to metabolize calcium for health bones & shell
- Good and varied nutrition
- Water & humidity for health & bones / shell
- Exercise (space)
- Safety, substrata
- Heat variants
- Hides

There are many right ways to accomplish these - but wrong ways too.

As you work on these , remember the folks here have raised 100'ds of these and made every mistake you can imagine. They advise out of the school of hard knocks.

Good fortune with your new baby.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
You got this tortoise just in time. He / she is still young enough to halt the pyramiding.

Stick to this forum for your information. The conflicts you find here are minor and " best care" practices are the most accurite.

Think seriously about a bigger enclosure. A 6" Sulcata will be miserable in a 20L tank. Not enough floor space. And he will grow - rapidly with good care. The enclosure section has many good and economical alternatives.

Don't get frustrated with the many suggestions you will get. Everyone here has you're and the torts best interests in mind. Remember. These creatures are long lived , get very large , and can be with you for life. The care you give now pays big dividends in the future.

- Exercise (space)
- Safety, substrata
- Heat variants
- Hides

As you work on these , remember the folks here have raised 100'ds of these and made every mistake you can imagine. They advise out of the school of hard knocks.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Alaska Mike tends to "talk" right to my soul Your baby is gorgeous! Little pyramided but nothing that proper care from now in couldn't stop. Still, gorgeous though! Welcome from Central Texas to you both, enjoy the forum and keep us posted as you make progress and your baby sully grows.

Krys Newnum

If the basking rock is a heat rock, take it out. These cause burns for tortoises. The red bulb will confuse him, and cause him to eat the substrate. For night heat a CHE on a thermostat is ideal. Use a regular bulb for basking since you have UVB bulb already.
no I don't trust anything that heats itself like that. its a regular flat rock from my yard (slate) and it is heated by a single infra red heat bulb about 18" up to a comfy 95 or so.

Krys Newnum

good to know about the red bulb!

Krys Newnum

Hi and welcome Krys , go here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/sulcata-tortoises.88/ about everything you need should be here ! ;)
I have been there and printed off the diet and raising care sheets and the enclosure info.... thank you. I am mainly concerned with stopping the bad things and doing the right. she was never soaked before she cam to us, she never had a calcium or vitamin supplement, and she was kept in a desert environment. I just keep finding things I should be doing and am not.... :( its a little overwhelming. however I am firm and resolved so I will get her there.

Krys Newnum

what do you mean regular bulb?

Krys Newnum

- Exercise (space)
- Safety, substrata
- Heat variants
- Hides

the lady said she is a girl but I am not sure.... :)

Krys Newnum

on the enclosure I am not finding dimensions... maybe I am not reading the right place, I am finding lots on lighting and moisture and substrata, but not size.... are there any recommendations or at least minimums or designs??? my husband is a carpenter and can make anything :) maybe a web page or something where I can see them and get an idea?

Krys Newnum

I am trying to think of a good name for this girl but they are all eluding me.... :( I think it is because I don't know for sure if its a he or a she.... and everywhere I look it just says you cant tell.... o_O