how am I doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

obsideon

5 Year Member
:tort: I am the adoptive mom of two Sulcata juviniles, one being 3 year old Malificus and 2 year old Obsideon. These wonderful boys belong to my Daughter, she bought them as babys in North carolina and has since moved back home to Iowa. I had more time and a ready made area for them so they are staying with me. ( for now)....I WANT to keep them, but I know eventually my girl will get a place ready for them and they will move to the farm. I got on-line just the other day looking for advice on what to do if your tortoise gets out and you have to look for them! Obsideon did that, he was missing for 5 days. I would go out and call to them like I do everytime I go out to see them, they usually always come out of hiding when they hear me, so thats all I could think of to do besides looking under things and in tall grass. I was so sad that I had not known that he had dug his way out.He had dug next to a board and bulldozed it up so he could fit under. I felt so terribly guilty and logged on to this sight looking for help,....then out of the blue I got a phone call from my sister next door, she asked if I had lost a tortoise,..I said YES!...she said , well I think he's right here on my back porch!...I ran over to her place and there he was! I brought him home, scrubbed his shell with cool water and conditioned him, then brought him fresh dandelion leaves and clovers, he didnt seem hungry, he just wanted to dive down into the burrow they have dug under the 8 by 4 foot enclosed pen that I have for them. He and Malificus have an outdoor run area of 16 by 12 foot, they have pretty much mowed it down so I bring them their food.
I have read a lot about them since I have taken over caring for them, their diet before was too rich in protein and they were getting too many store bought greens and bananas as well as dry tortoise food. Now they get to mow the lawn for us and they get dandelion leaves 3 times a day.
I want to get them a bale of good grass hay and start them on that so as to get them used to it for the winter. We live in Iowa and the hardy dandelions stay green even past a few frosts but eventually they get covered with snow. I have re-enforced the out door enclosure with heavier boards and placed a huge hollowed log in there so that may hold his interest for a while I hope! gawd, they sure can go and go ! I am impressed and I have a whole new respect for them, they are crafty and pretty much little Hudinis.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi obsideon:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I'd love to see pictures of your new sulcatas.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum! Glad there was a happy ending to your story! When Cooper is big enough to be left outside I will be sure to make it as tortoise escape proof as possible for sure as I have been seeing a lot of torts escaping as of late! Have a good day!

obsideon

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:
Welcome to the forum! Glad there was a happy ending to your story! When Cooper is big enough to be left outside I will be sure to make it as tortoise escape proof as possible for sure as I have been seeing a lot of torts escaping as of late! Have a good day!

omg~! yes, you might be good to dig a trench where you plan to place the fence or boards,...wow, they sure do bulldoze fast! Thank you for the welcome

emysemys said:
Hi obsideon:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I'd love to see pictures of your new sulcatas.

hello and thank you for the welcome! my name is Jackie and as soon as I can figure out how to upload some pics,...I will do just that, can't wait to show off the boys! however I am a bit high tech retarded, LOL

DocNezzy said:
Good to have you!

thank you for the welcome, I will share pics as soon as I figure out how to do it,...I better get my teenager in here LOL~

dalano73 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum..

thank you for the welcome~! I will post pics as soon as I can,....I am just a bit high tech retarded ...I'm sure my 17 yr old can help me soon!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I like to use tinypic.com to post pics. Its really easy and you don't need an account or anything. Just upload any size pic and then copy paste the IMG code into your forum post.

What are you doing to condition their shells after the shell scrubbing?

Glad you found us.

Status
Not open for further replies.