NOT HIBERNATING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
well ive been reading on hibernating and i think im not letting mine hibernate this winter but he has before do you think that will hurt him at all because i dont want to hibernate mine so i need some help and the websites have readed are giving me mixed anwsers so i dont know need some help.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It will not hurt him to not hibernate for a year or two. I just don't think it's a good idea to not hibernate long term. Others might disagree with this though. Many people do not hibernate their turtles/tortoises at all.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
kimber_lee_314 said:
It will not hurt him to not hibernate for a year or two. I just don't think it's a good idea to not hibernate long term. Others might disagree with this though. Many people do not hibernate their turtles/tortoises at all.

really does it affect their health at all

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Even if you don't hibernate him, he will slow down, and not eat for a while. He will probably bury himself in the substrate and stay there for a month or so, or at least for a few weeks, especially if he was used to hibernating. Even if you keep the temp. high, and the lights on, he will just know that it's time to hibernate, and slow down. Don't ask me how they know, but they just do. Even my hatchling didn't eat for a few weeks and dug herself under the leaf litter in her vivarium. You still have time to think about all this, before the Fall. I know many keepers who don't hibernate and keep their boxies inside for the Winter.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Thanks guys appericate all the help because ive been reading and it is some what stressful comeing up with a anwser but thanks again:D

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
yes it does affect their health not to hibernate long term though usually the first year i don't sugget doing it for safety reasons

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Saloli said:
yes it does affect their health not to hibernate long term though usually the first year i don't sugget doing it for safety reasons

ok well i have read that but then other sites are telling me it doesnt bother them but i got somewhat confused so i wanted to get everyone elses opion

Status
Not open for further replies.