Box Turtle Already Hibernating???

mukmewx

I have an outside box turtle who Ive had for 3 years and has been doing great (he has successfully hibernated the past 2 years) A couple days ago I feed him some wild caught shad( I only do this once a year) the next day, I check on him to feed him some mixed up and chopped veggies and I find he had borrowed in his typical hibernating spot. He ONLY borrows here when he hibernates, and ALL other times he is under something and comes running to me. It worries me becuase it's so early and it is getting to the low 90's in mid-day (high 60's at night). We did have a cooler snap with temps of high 70's and low 50's at night last week, but why is he trying to hibernate now that it's the low 90's? When i touch his shell he moves, so I know he's alive. Would it be okay to get him out and feed him some veggies, then let him borrow again if he wants?

mukmewx

Well isn't that just like a boxie to freak you out to the point of writing this long post for help, then proceed to come out of hiding ready to eat! Must of disturbed him when I touched him earlier!
20170917_142647.jpg 20170917_142725.jpg

Last edited:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Mine have seemed a little confused lately too. We're still hot, but the shadows are getting longer and days shorter, so I think they're starting to get signals that cold is coming.

What sort of pellets do you have mixed in the food?

mukmewx

Mine have seemed a little confused lately too. We're still hot, but the shadows are getting longer and days shorter, so I think they're starting to get signals that cold is coming.

What sort of pellets do you have mixed in the food?

Good to know I'm not the only one, and that's the turtle brittle from .carolinapetsupply.com

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Getting to be that time of year when they are starting to test the brumation spots. Instincts are kicking in.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
No worries....mine are all slowing down. Couple more weeks it will be hard to find any of mine without digging for them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The weather is warm for this time of year, but it doesn't change the fact that the days are much shorter!

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
Hey Eric. mind me asking what part of Ohio you are in? and what kind of turtles do you keep outside and let hibernate? Im just south of Columbus and building an enclosure now with a pond. Trying to figure out what my options are to keep in there that can safely hibernate in ohio

thanks

(you can PM me so we don't hijack the post)