Hibernating Hermans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie

5 Year Member
Hi, I hope someone can help, or offer some advise. I have 2 4 year old herman tortoises (George and Ruby) and the last time I took them to the vet he mentioned hibernating them soon. When I purchased them the breeder said to wait until they were 5 years old, but I have heard people say as they are medditereanean that I dont have to hibernate them at all if I dont want to breed from them (which i'd rather not). I'm not really keen on the idea of hibernating (because I'b miss them! and be so worried that they wouldn't wake up again ) but if it's best for them I'd gladly do it. We live in the UK so there it is really cold in the winter, so maybe it would be best if they are asleep through this? so some questions! if it is best to hibernate them how do I do it? and if i dont are there things I should do to make sure they're kept nice and toasty through the winter? any help would be appreciated. thanks! Katie, George & Ruby x

Oh, forgot to mentione how much they weigh! George is 1lb 1.5oz, and Ruby is 1lb 9.5oz thanks!

Katie

5 Year Member
Katie said:
Hi, I hope someone can help, or offer some advise. I have 2 4 year old herman tortoises (George and Ruby) and the last time I took them to the vet he mentioned hibernating them soon. When I purchased them the breeder said to wait until they were 5 years old, but I have heard people say as they are medditereanean that I dont have to hibernate them at all if I dont want to breed from them (which i'd rather not). I'm not really keen on the idea of hibernating (because I'b miss them! and be so worried that they wouldn't wake up again ) but if it's best for them I'd gladly do it. We live in the UK so there it is really cold in the winter, so maybe it would be best if they are asleep through this? so some questions! if it is best to hibernate them how do I do it? and if i dont are there things I should do to make sure they're kept nice and toasty through the winter? any help would be appreciated. thanks! Katie, George & Ruby x

Oh, forgot to mentione how much they weigh! George is 1lb 1.5oz, and Ruby is 1lb 9.5oz thanks!

Anyone have any help? could really use it????

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
You don't need to hibernate your tortoises. Just keep them warm enough, and give them plenty of light (ideally around 13-14 hours per day) using your usual basking/UV bulbs.

Also, I don't think I've said hello, yet. Where abouts in the UK are you from? :)

Katie

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
You don't need to hibernate your tortoises. Just keep them warm enough, and give them plenty of light (ideally around 13-14 hours per day) using your usual basking/UV bulbs.

Also, I don't think I've said hello, yet. Where abouts in the UK are you from? :)

Hi thanks for replying! We live down in Devon in a place called Ivybridge.
I would like to hibernate them, but i think i'll wait until next year when they're a bit bigger and see how we go! do you have a hermann's tortoise too? :)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Katie said:
cherylim said:

Hi thanks for replying! We live down in Devon in a place called Ivybridge.
I would like to hibernate them, but i think i'll wait until next year when they're a bit bigger and see how we go! do you have a hermann's tortoise too? :)

I do. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...in captivity it has been found that hibernating/brumating a young tortoise can increase fail rate...I too would wait until your tort is around 5. I know that even hatchlings hibernate/brumate in the wild...however....I would also suggest indoor brumation for your tort to assure you can access your tort in the event you notice any sudden unhealthy changes....IMHO..

Folks do decide also to not hibernate/brumate their tortoise as much as some swear by it being part of their natural process. Outdoor brumation can increase the exposure to health issues and worse. So please do as much research as possible on your own so that you can make a truly informed choices....there are absolutely pros and cons of both brumation as well as not allowing it ....

I do not keep Hermans but do host CDTs..all of which are allowed to brumate through the 3-4 months of winter...this year they will be doing it indoors..as the weather the last couple of years has been too extreme for me to allow brumation outdoors as in the past....:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
No tortoise "needs" to hibernate in captivity. Temperate climate tortoises such as the Testudo species have evolved to hibernate in the wild out of necessity in order to escape extended periods of cold weather and very sparse food resources. In captivity those same species can be kept awake and very active throughout the cold seasons by keeping their temperatures and light duration & intensity at what they would be during the summertime.
There has always been a ongoing, very old debate about whether or not hibernation is psychologically necessary and if not doing so may shorten the life of a tortoise.
Psychologically it may confusing to a wild caught tortoises bio-rhythm that first year in captivity only because it has instinctively been conditioned to do certain things things based on seasonal changes. If once that next full summer season takes place and is simply extended indoors throughtout the cold months most tortoises will not notice the difference. That is ifthey are brought indoors soon enough. The mistake that many people make is leaving their tortoises out until it begins to cool down and the days get shorter. Way before the change is recognized by humans the tortoises are already preparing for the oncoming cold months.
As far as the debate about whether not hibernating may take years off a tortoises life, there is no real way to know that for certain. But many people feel that even if that is true, it's better to keep a tortoise alive for 30, 40, 50 years by not hibernating than to have something go wrong during hibernation and have the tortoise die in 10 years.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Brumation is indeed an evolutionary adaptation and attempt to change that entire adaptation in one season is well, IMHO, silliness. There are tons of little wc Russian tortoise sold in pet stores ...those tortoise are then kept indoors and not maintained outdoors...then how many times is it said (even read on this forum) that hey my little Russian was eating, basking, walking around lime crazy but for last few weeks he has slowed down for "no reason" is he alright :D I this is a critter that has not been triggered by the outdoor environment but rather a result of an internal clock that has been set by evolutionary adaptation....IMHO based on loads of research on my part....

Now...the question of "should I" brumate my tortoise? This will always be a question that has not been able to be answered ..not even scientific research can give a solid yes or no.

I personally believe that a tortoise that has evolved into a brumating species is in ones care...then provisions should be set up to allow this species to do what it is that evolution has set up..again IMO. I do believe also that from the moment care is started for one of these brumating species starts...all care should be geared in preparing that tortoise to be as strong, healthy and hydrated as humanly possible so as to increase the likelihood of success for the tortoise in your care....IMO

Now others absolutely will 100%to disagree with my beliefs...they will say that they don't expose this evolutionary wonder to live out that path in fear of it dying....I totally understand the want to never lose a beloved friend...really I do...however..if you base all care on the goal of brumating a healthy tortoise..the likelihood of success is tremendous...as well as you do not have to brumate your tortoise outdoors..you
can set up provisions.s indoors as well.....also...it is so important to make sure you only brumate a healthy tortoise...none underweight...none dehydrated...and also remember if you select to allow brumation..if something changes you can absolutely bring your tortoise out of brumation..as long as you conduct that wake up appropriately....again..all here is my feelings on this subject if brumating..and I would not ever say one HAS to brumate their tortoise....only that yes, it is ok to if done with that as the annual plan and goal....

Status
Not open for further replies.