Need some advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
I have been reading for a couple months about hibernation for my box turtle ,and i know most of it, but im still worried about it still because im new to hibernating box turtles because i have raised a lot long aquatic turtles dont really need it(i dont think in my opion). But anyways i have picked everything out for him this winter like he is staying in a cold part of my house ,so i can keep an i on him. Also i got the other stuff down pat im pretty sure of it. (So my question is to you guys is there any good way of cheacking on him, to see he is doing aright ,and also i need some tips that i may i have not read like you have picked up over the years.) Also just tell some info on what you like to do for them because i like reading it more than once ,so i remember it. Also if I havent metioned it im hibernating him inside in a cool place inside near what it is outside.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i do not do a true hibernation period for my turtles, they brumate for only a few weeks during the winter, and are awake the rest. They naturally slow down activity levels, but never truly hibernate. I offer them plenty of digging substrate on half of the enclosure and a heat source on the other-all outside (in florida). I have heard of people both for and against hibernating captive species, but i have no real set views on it. I do not believe in hibernating juveniles though in captivity-very risky.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
zesty_17 said:
i do not do a true hibernation period for my turtles, they brumate for only a few weeks during the winter, and are awake the rest. They naturally slow down activity levels, but never truly hibernate. I offer them plenty of digging substrate on half of the enclosure and a heat source on the other-all outside (in florida). I have heard of people both for and against hibernating captive species, but i have no real set views on it. I do not believe in hibernating juveniles though in captivity-very risky.

i dont belive in that too. Are your box turtles affected in any way by only hibernating a few weeks. Ive read if you dont hibernate them it affects their immune system and breeding habits but that is it I think. So does it affect your turtles health at all because i may do that also. Mine is adult box turtle and also i knew that too about the baby and juvineils. You shouldnt hibernate unless they are 4 years old anyways.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know lots of people who don't hibernate at all. I also know some who have an outdoor hatchling pen and let them hibernate the first year. I don't put mine out to hibernate until they are at least 3 years old. I really don't know anything about indoor hibernation, so can't help you with this....but good luck.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
terryo said:
I know lots of people who don't hibernate at all. I also know some who have an outdoor hatchling pen and let them hibernate the first year. I don't put mine out to hibernate until they are at least 3 years old. I really don't know anything about indoor hibernation, so can't help you with this....but good luck.

thanks and terryo do you know if their turtles health is fine since they dont hibernate them because i read it messes with their immuine system. Im just want the best for my turtles health. :D

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Turtle Guru said:
zesty_17 said:

i dont belive in that too. Are your box turtles affected in any way by only hibernating a few weeks. Ive read if you dont hibernate them it affects their immune system and breeding habits but that is it I think. So does it affect your turtles health at all because i may do that also. Mine is adult box turtle and also i knew that too about the baby and juvineils. You shouldnt hibernate unless they are 4 years old anyways.

I have not observed any immune effects from the group. I have been doing it this way for over 10-15years. With Monica, my three-toed, her first clutch of eggs hatched last week, so i assume that breeding and egg laying has not been interrupted.
baby L 7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
zesty_17 said:
Turtle Guru said:
zesty_17 said:

I have not observed any immune effects from the group. I have been doing it this way for over 10-15years. With Monica, my three-toed, her first clutch of eggs hatched last week, so i assume that breeding and egg laying has not been interrupted.

The friends I have who don't hibernate outside have been doing it for years too. They do slow down in the Winter months and don't eat for about a month or so. I know they keep checking them, but none have had any immune effects either.
The main reason that I don't keep them all inside for the Winter is that I don't have the room for a heard of Boxies inside, so everyone stays outside for the Winter. This year I'm taking in a little Three Toed, who's only 2 years old, and my Gulf Coast. This is the first year that I have her so I'll bring her in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.