not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKMATTI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queens, NY
found a turtle/tortoise on the road, brought it home, made a really nice home, its not eating just drinking and sitting in the water now & then....complately new at this...can someone help me ? I do not even know if its a turtle or tortoise? I have pic of it on my phone, but I do not know how to get them on here to show ....HELP? Please....G&N

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're going to have to figure out how to show us the pictures, because without knowing what kind you found we really can't help you.

I can give you one bit of advice, though...if it's a water turtle, they can't swallow unless they're under water.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I would suggest putting it back in the same area where you found it.

GKMATTI

5 Year Member
Queens, NY
The turtle I found in the road is not eating...8 days now ... & last 2 days sitting under log majority of day help!!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Do you have any idea what species it is?

If it is a native species it was removed from it's environment. Right now it has one thought and one thought only-escape. It's in a completely foreign situation. Animals in that situation aren't concerned with eating, drinking, sleeping or anything else. They have one concern only. This is terrible time of year to be removing a turtle from the wild. They are gearing up to brumate (hibernate) and this one's whole process has been disrupted.

"Finding" a turtle in the road and taking it home is not rescuing it. Moving it off the road and leaving in the wild is.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I this is for real you need to put it back where you found it asap, to reiterate what I said in your other thread. I've seen people take turtles from the wild over and over again (in Maryland...I'm pretty sure there are no tortoises in the mid to north Atlantic states) and it usually ends up bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
GKMATTI:

It won't do you any good to keep posting the same question over and over again. We have to know what kind of turtle it is before we can help you. Try to figure out a way to get a picture of the turtle up for us to see, otherwise your turtle is going to die.

Because we don't know if your turtle is a native species, I don't think you should put it back until you find out what it is.

Take it to a pet shop or a vet and ask them what it is.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
We need pics to identify what species it is so we can suggest the correct diet.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Most likely if it was found on the side of the road in NY it's a native animal. An aquatic or box turtle. I can't imagine any tortoise owner (there are no native torts in NY) letting their pet run around outside during this time of year to get lost. It's too cold.

Something tells me this poster is just trying to get responses. Two threads with no kind of identifying info seems fishy.

GKMATTI

5 Year Member
Queens, NY
What type of turtle is this?

Can anyone please identify what type of turtle this is... i have posted some pictures. It was found in Long Island New York.

Attachments

• 092312163024.jpg
    092312163024.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 092712073948.jpg
    092712073948.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 092712074051.jpg
    092712074051.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 092712074415.jpg
    092712074415.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 093012080901.jpg
    093012080901.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 093012081015.jpg
    093012081015.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 16
  • 093012081041.jpg
    093012081041.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 27

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: What type of turtle is this?

A nice looking box turtle.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: What type of turtle is this?

What a stunning Eastern.

GKMATTI

5 Year Member
Queens, NY
Eating

Ate a little bit of a cherry tomato last night. Finally! It was fairly difficult though. Where should I be placing it's food? In the log where it is hidding? Or out in the open.

From what people are telling me, it is an Eastern Box turtle.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Regardless of how I feel about keeping wild box turtles, it is a nice looking one. I'm glad it's eating. Hopefully it will do ok.

Just make sure you keep a good UVB bulb on it. I've heard that captive wild box turtles often lose their brilliant colors when moved indoors. One of the many reasons why I haven't tried keeping one that I've found.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Box turtles eat bug and worms. They eat a bit of vegetation and fruit, but mainly bugs and worms.

For my box turtles, I chop up veggies from the tortoise menu, then I'll add a bit of fruit and place this on a piece of cement in the box turtle pen (outside). Then I'll add some night crawlers OR meal worms OR sardines OR bits of chicken on top.

Since you found your box turtle outside, he needs to be set up outside. A wild box turtle will stress badly when kept indoors. In fact, you should see if eastern box turtles are native to the area where you found this one. If they are, you should put it back. It is illegal to take them from the wild, and quite harmful to the native population.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
emysemys said:
In fact, you should see if eastern box turtles are native to the area where you found this one. If they are, you should put it back. It is illegal to take them from the wild, and quite harmful to the native population.

I'm glad someone finally said this besides me. That is the #1 reason why I haven't taken one that I've found, and I've found some stunners. Some with bright orange and yellow skin. It's so tempting.

If it's a female, how many turtles are you actually removing from the wild? I'm not sure how many offspring and eastern box can have in its lifetime, but I'm sure it's a lot.

GKMATTI

5 Year Member
Queens, NY
I don't want to stress it anymore than I already have. Can I put it back in the wild where I found it NOW? The weather is currently changing in New York... would it be safe?

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, as long as you put it back where you got it from it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.