Not drinking

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
Tippie doesn't seem to be drinking much lately. Her appetite is wonderful, so no concern there. I put a large terracotta dish in her enclosure that I fill every morning, but I haven't seen her drinking from it (or even wading in it for that matter). She still soaks 3x a week in the tub. I've noticed greatly increased urates when she pees.... how can I get her to drink?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
very seldom do I see my Sulcata or Leopard drink. They get soaks almost daily, so I'm sure that's when they drink.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I never see mine drink either. Drives me crazy but i know one must often since she pees daily

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Are the walls of the terracotta dish low enough for the tort to climb into?

Shes probaly drinking during her soaks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't panic: your tort must drink but as some members mentioned you may not see this happen.

Personally, I see Oli drink almost daily, whilst being soaked, due to the fact that I literally sit there and watch.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
She is probably drinking when your not looking , sneaky ! :p If you are soaking , I wouldn't panic ! :)
Ive tried looking, but i think me staring makes her feel weird. Sometimes she'll be eating & i stare (with loving eyes) and she freezes and then walks away :(
A couple if times ive seen her standing by the water dish like shes thinking about it. But she catches a glimpse of me, freezes, and then walks away :(
Its funny though cause she was such a bully to Max. Yet shes so shy when it comes to me.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Ive tried looking, but i think me staring makes her feel weird. Sometimes she'll be eating & i stare (with loving eyes) and she freezes and then walks away :(
A couple if times ive seen her standing by the water dish like shes thinking about it. But she catches a glimpse of me, freezes, and then walks away :(
Its funny though cause she was such a bully to Max. Yet shes so shy when it comes to me.

Some times I wish Speedy was a little Shyer , he chases me all over ! I am afraid I will step on him ! He will walk right over my foot , or nibble on my shoe to let me know he is there ! :D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin

I just keep staring. Nadine has already gotten used to me. Now hoping she'll actually like me (even though I am kind of a jerk). :D

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Some times I wish Speedy was a little Shyer , he chases me all over ! I am afraid I will step on him ! He will walk right over my foot , or nibble on my shoe to let me know he is there ! :D
How cute ! None of my torts are like that. Max though, that man forgets everything once food is place in front of him.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I just keep staring. Nadine has already gotten used to me. Now hoping she'll actually like me (even though I am kind of a jerk). :D
I cant, i do the "oh im so sorry ! Im leaving, go ahead!" Lol
Ill even turn the volume down on the tv at night cause i dont want to disturb them. Though i did establish in a different thread that my torts must be deaf since i cant get any type of reaction from them with any noise

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I rarely see Charlie drink. He used to come up on the porch and drink out of the dog's bowl, but I haven't seen that lately. I've taken to dipping his hibiscus branch treat into water before I give it to him.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I cant, i do the "oh im so sorry ! Im leaving, go ahead!" Lol
Ill even turn the volume down on the tv at night cause i dont want to disturb them. Though i did establish in a different thread that my torts must be deaf since i cant get any type of reaction from them with any noise

Mine has to learn to like me or I'm gonna stop flipping her back on her feet every two minutes!

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
When my tortoise doesn't seem to be drinking I just put her in the tub with warm water for anywhere from 30-60 minutes. Change the water often, so it's nice and warm :) When she basks in the warm water her mouth goes under the water and she starts to drink. If that doesn't work put some water on her breakfast. Wash the food off, but don't dry it. Lily is eating healthy... romaine lettuce, weeds, fruits, vegetable, etc. Since your tort has a good appetite she will eat her food and get water at the same time!