Nose Bubbles On Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Boise ID
Hey guys I have an Ibera Greek tortoise who is 2 years old. He is eating and I feed him 4 pellets of mazuri with collard and mustard. Recently he is making noises with his mouth and bubbles from his nose. Is he healthy does his shell look healthy. I’m really stressing I live in Boise Idaho but I’m not sure if I should take him to a vet.

Attachments

• 4CD007B0-0DC1-40DC-8383-44BC32828626.jpeg
    4CD007B0-0DC1-40DC-8383-44BC32828626.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 651FC454-1039-490F-BCBB-55060CCD028E.jpeg
    651FC454-1039-490F-BCBB-55060CCD028E.jpeg
    903 KB · Views: 4
  • FCF039C8-A9F1-400C-A3A8-C645C1A595CB.jpeg
    FCF039C8-A9F1-400C-A3A8-C645C1A595CB.jpeg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 3
  • BFD2DACF-975F-402D-9C11-A7DA15C04635.jpeg
    BFD2DACF-975F-402D-9C11-A7DA15C04635.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

bodysculptor

Ft Lauderdale, FL
Hey guys I have an Ibera Greek tortoise who is 2 years old. He is eating and I feed him 4 pellets of mazuri with collard and mustard. Recently he is making noises with his mouth and bubbles from his nose. Is he healthy does his shell look healthy. I’m really stressing I live in Boise Idaho but I’m not sure if I should take him to a vet.
I would recommend taking to a vet, could be viral and possibly serious, from my experience with a Sulcata - mine ended up stop eating and presented with a bladder stone, and needed antibiotics. Good luck!

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Hi there and welcome.

I would personally read through the above thread a few times prior to making a vet appointment to make sure your husbandry is correct, particularly temperatures of the enclosure, given the bubbles on the nose. Tortoises can become unwell with respiratory illnesses etc, if not exposed to the correct environment.

bodysculptor

Ft Lauderdale, FL
Hi there and welcome.

I would personally read through the above thread a few times prior to making a vet appointment to make sure your husbandry is correct, particularly temperatures of the enclosure, given the bubbles on the nose. Tortoises can become unwell with respiratory illnesses etc, if not exposed to the correct environment.
Understood and aware of of that; that advise was given by a Dr at the vet when my got sick. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RI is usually the result of cold temps, especially at night. It won't hurt anything to bump all your temps up 5-10 degrees for a while, and keep the nights warm. Double check that all of your temperatures are correct. At the end of the thread that PollyAda linked for you is a care sheet showing all the correct temps and how to achieve and maintain them.

Questions are welcome.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi there,

Do you have a hatch date for your Greek tortoise or is the age an estimate? He looks awfully large to be a 2 year old captive bred tortoise. BUT pics can be deceiving sometimes.

Quite often higher heat can help them kick the bubbly noses. You have to figure out why he got bubbles in the first place and fix that issue or else it will happen again. Too cool in the enclosure maybe? If it's cool and damp you'll get a sick tortoise. warm and humid fairs them better.

Are you familiar with the Idaho Reptile Zoo? He's fairly new in your area. Go visit him and talk about tortoise heat requirements. Reading care sheets on the internet can be great, don't get me wrong. Sometimes it's just nice to have a real life person to walk you through things.