Nose bubbles!!

Jman14

Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Hi guys, I have been noticing my tortoise has been blowing bubbles through his nose I’ve been seeing it when he’s eating and I was just wondering what I should do should I take to the vet right away or should I bring him inside?

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi guys, I have been noticing my tortoise has been blowing bubbles through his nose I’ve been seeing it when he’s eating and I was just wondering what I should do should I take to the vet right away or should I bring him inside?
@Tom

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Mine was doing this since I brought it home, after trying to keep humidity and temps high in his enclosure hoping it would slowly resolve itself I decided to take him to the vet, unfortunately wound up with a respiratory infection and is now on antibiotics that I have to inject him with every 3 days.
I am still a newbie but I wouldn’t chance it and take them to a vet right away!

zovick

10 Year Member!
The bubbles are a sign of a respiratory infection. The tortoise needs veterinary attention in the form of antibiotic injections AND should brought inside where the temperatures can be regulated more easily to keep things from getting worse.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and how are you housing it?

RIs are caused by cold temps. They can usually be cured when caught early with hot temps.

Jman14

Cali
What species and how are you housing it?

RIs are caused by cold temps. They can usually be cured when caught early with hot temps.
It’s a Russian tortoise he is kept outside in the tense in the day are 80+ in the night or 60-55

Jman14

Cali
It’s a Russian tortoise he is kept outside in the tense in the day are 80+ in the night or 60-55
I had my mom Schedule A appointment to the vet as soon as possible because now he is now wheezing, I’m going to the vet tomorrow

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had my mom Schedule A appointment to the vet as soon as possible because now he is now wheezing, I’m going to the vet tomorrow
You'll need to make a large indoor enclosure for him for winter. He can't hibernate outside this year.

Don't let the vet inject Baytril. Its extremely caustic. Like injecting bleach into your tortoise. If the vet think antibiotics are needed suggest Fortaz instead of Baytril.

Jman14

Cali
You'll need to make a large indoor enclosure for him for winter. He can't hibernate outside this year.

Don't let the vet inject Baytril. Its extremely caustic. Like injecting bleach into your tortoise. If the vet think antibiotics are needed suggest Fortaz instead of Baytril.
Ok so,
I cannot hibernate him at all and is it OK if I keep him outside on hot days and bring him inside at nights?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so,
I cannot hibernate him at all and is it OK if I keep him outside on hot days and bring him inside at nights?
Correct.

If you rad this thread, there is info on outdoor housing that will allow you to do it safely outside with a temperature control night box that has a basking lamp for colder weather.