Norwegian Testudo enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

5 Year Member
I have just started building an enclosure for my Testudo tortoises (currently 0.2 T.graeca, 0.1 T.hermanni and 0.1 T.horsfieldi) It will have a greenhouse on the outside of the pen for the tortoises to use in bad weather and early spring\late fall. The greenhouse is 1,5 meter times 2,5 meter (aprox. 5 feet x 8 feet) The enclosure itelf is going to be a triangular shaped semi-concrete\mountain\wood structure. I have a few pics to begin with:

Attachments

• IMAG0586.jpg
    IMAG0586.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 252
  • IMAG0588.jpg
    IMAG0588.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 230

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Sounds like a good plan...I just am curious? Will the enclosure/yard be on the high side or the low side of that solid concrete barrier? And will your fencing be strong enough to deter what appears to be some type of cattle?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
This sounds like a serious project, keep us updated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi EspenK:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That's quite an undertaking. I love the backdrop with the natural boulders and grasses. I can't wait to see the finished product including its inhabitants.

I'm assuming you're in Norway, but what would you like us to call you?

EspenK

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Sounds like a good plan...I just am curious? Will the enclosure/yard be on the high side or the low side of that solid concrete barrier? And will your fencing be strong enough to deter what appears to be some type of cattle?

Hi! The enclosure will be between the concrete wall and the stone wall. The "cattle" you are talking about is my neighbours ram! ;) He is always bleating for food when he sees me btw :rolleyes:
The fencing between the ram and me is strong enough! :)

EspenK

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi EspenK:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That's quite an undertaking. I love the backdrop with the natural boulders and grasses. I can't wait to see the finished product including its inhabitants.

Thanks! I think the picture is lying a bit, or I just didn't express myself correctly about the size and shape of the enclosure. For now it will only be where you can see the clay dirt. On the last pic you see a wooden stick in the left corner. From the left side of the concrete there will be a wooden fencing, and from the wooden stick to the mountain\stone there will be some kind of concrete or wooden fencing too. The reason why I am usin wood, is because in a few years all of the area you see in the picture will become one big enclosure. But for now, with time and budget stopping me, I will just make the smaller one. The enclosure is now measuring somewhere around 14 square meter (150 square feet?) but when time and budget "suddenly appears" it will go to about 80-100 square meter (1000 square feet). But 14 sq.m will do for now, at least for 4 tortoises ;)

EspenK

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi EspenK:

I'm not sure I understood that question-but my name is Espen :) Pardon my english btw, it's been a few years since I left school :cool:

EspenK

5 Year Member
Not much has happened, but as I love to see other peoples pictures of their projects, I am posting some pics, incuding the greenhouse. It's easier to see where the wooden wall will be; on top of the gravel I will cast (<-----pour concrete?) and build a wooden wall.

Attachments

• IMAG0598.jpg
    IMAG0598.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
  • IMAG0595.jpg
    IMAG0595.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0596.jpg
    IMAG0596.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0597.jpg
    IMAG0597.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It really is. Looking forward to seeing the wooden wall in place.

And why don't you rent a helicopter and take a view from up above for us? ;)

It is going to be really nice.

EspenK

5 Year Member
Well, the enclosure is not finished yet, due to my concrete worker beeing a bit busy with other projects. Anyway, the formwork has been set, and all I am waiting for now is the concrete. I have dug a small pond in the enclosure, with a continuous supply of fresh water. Have any of you any experience with the tortoises around a pond? It will have a nice slope, so that they can't have any accidents. Of course, the tortoises in the wild don't drown, but anyway....?

Attachments

• IMAG0624.jpg
    IMAG0624.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57

EspenK

5 Year Member
Some progress has been made, I am missing glass in the greenhouse etc.
Tomorrow the :tort: :tort: will move in :D

Attachments

• IMAG0663.jpg
    IMAG0663.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0664.jpg
    IMAG0664.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0666.jpg
    IMAG0666.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0667.jpg
    IMAG0667.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 48

EspenK

5 Year Member
Thank you for your positive feedback!

The inhabitants has moved in- looking out from the caves the first morning! The enclosure is not fully furnished yet. Behind the "greenzone" fresh water is coming in, so that the water in the pond continiusly gets changed.

Attachments

• IMAG0681.jpg
    IMAG0681.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They can't believe their good fortune.

Are those additional enclosure next to the one pictured, or the base for the Greenhouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.