Northern Michigan tortoise hopeful hoppyist

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortTango

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Michigan
Hello, although I live in a cold climate I would like to get a pet tortoise. The only downside if I am limited to a small size of tortoise due to the limitations of my future enclosure size. If anyone would like to point me to a good way of finding what tortoise is best for me, or if anyone else lives above the 40th parallel.

Hoping to learn a lot about tortoises and have a few of my own.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
russian tortoises are one of the hardiest tortoises and are great beginner tortoises. I live in michigan and I do not have to hard time raising my russian tortoise inside. all tortoises require room to move, a tank that is 4 foot by 4 foot should be fine for a russian. I hope this was helpful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
IMO any tortoise can live in Michigan. It all depends on how much room you have and what you can afford to provide. Larger species will need a heated tort house for winters. Smaller species can be housed inside for winter. There are many or all species living in Michigan and many of the other cold northern states and Canada.
If you don't have the room or means to support a large tort, then a Russian, Greek, Hermann's are a few good smaller starter torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I agree with what Barb says. Your only limitations in my mind are how much time, work and money you want to put into things. Otherwise, the Russian tops the list of ones I would suggest for you. :tort:

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russian is a good first tortoise :)

Breezy

5 Year Member
Northern Michigan
I also live in Northern Michigan and one of the smaller torts are easier. I have a russian but greeks work well too.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Russians are fantastic first torts, have fun attitudes, and are the perfect size for keeping indoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.