Hopeful Tortoise Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikirific

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! My name is Nichole and I don't currently have any tortoises. I have been really researching them and have been wanting to get my own for quite some time. I am trying to learn everything I need to know before I actually get a tortoise because I feel that if we add one to our family, there a lot to know before we actually commit.

I have had a few box turtles over the years (most of which were rescues that were reintroduced into the wild with very little interaction) I shared a rescued eastern box turtle named Marley with my ex and I lost her in the breakup, she thrived and even had her own turtle fence in the backyard complete with a swimming hole, basking rock and shade tree.

I live in Northeast Alabama and I was wondering if anyone in my area has tortoises and/or could give me some guidance on getting my own. I would like to rescue/adopt a tort that needs a good home.

I have a shih Tzu and 2 cats but they are very friendly to all types of animals and would actually snuggle with Marley.

I am very interested in a Sulcata or a Leopard. I really appreciate your feedback and I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to read my long and drawn out post :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Good luck on your search. If you happen to get a sulcata or leopard hatchling be sure to read Toms threads below in my post. Also, as much as your dog may seem to love tortoises, please be advised, they do not mix. We have seen many tortoise bit by my dog threads and many more have been seen in person by members. The most well trained dogs should never be left alone and unsupervised with a tortoise.

Nikirific

5 Year Member
Thank you! I was wondering about how they would mix, I would never let them hang out unsupervised.. I think I'll just keep her separate from my tort altogether :) I don't want any complications between them. I think I'll read your beginner mistakes link as well :p I don't want to endanger anyone due to my ignorance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nichole, and welcome to the Forum!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It's always great when someone does the research for a pet before getting it.

A word of caution.................

THEY ARE EXTREMELY ADDICTING

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...i suggest you really do a comparison between the two. Sulcatas are cute. I love mine..but they can be destructive. They burrow. They are little tanks. So make sure you know what you are getting into before you jump in...

Status
Not open for further replies.