1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Northern Ca

Discussion in 'Aldabra tortoises' started by Jenminer, Oct 8, 2019 at 3:06 PM.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Jenminer

Jenminer Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Northern California
    Does anyone keep Aldabras in northern Ca? I know they do in southern Ca with success. I’d love to have one but only if it was safe and the animal would have a good quality of life.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I've not seen it done with success in Southern CA. I've seen it done though. I think the CA climate is too dry. Galops do better here if you want a giant. There are other species better suited to our CA climate.
  3. Jenminer

Jenminer Member

Northern California
    Yeah, it’s probably a pipe dream of mine. I don’t want the animal to suffer, I was just curious if anyone had attempted to keep one in northern Ca and if it was possible or not.
  4. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    It is possible to keep any species anywhere with enough time, money and effort. Its not practical to keep a humidity needing, tropical island, giant tortoise in a dry temperate climate.