raising aldabs. in high desert, ca

garydp21

5 Year Member
Hey everyone , I just moved to the high desert (hesperia, ca) and I want to get some baby's from either Chris or aldabraman...my question is has anyone successfully raised Aldabras out here? I'm looking to get 4, but don't want any accidents....any advice would help. .i successfully keep sulcatas. Here at my home already. .thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Anything is physically possible with enough time, effort and money, but most of the time the results are disappointing for people who try to keep species that need high humidity here.

I won't even attempt Rfs, Manouria or Aldabras just for this reason. Everyone around here who does try it gets poor results.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey everyone , I just moved to the high desert (hesperia, ca) and I want to get done baby's from either Chris or aldabraman...my question is has anyone successfully raised Aldabras out here? I'm looking to get 4, but don't want any accidents....any advice would help. .i successfully keep sulcatas. Here at my home already. .thanks in advance

Seems to me you will essentially need to create a tropical environment during all months outside of winter....also, winter will bring challenges as well....especially when they are full size....I am curious, why 4?

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
what about los angeles area? im not too far from the ocean. Is it ok to raise Aldabras?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It seems to me like it would be very very difficult to provide the humidity they need and still give them the outdoor time that they need for the sunlight. It seems like you would almost have to build a completely enclosed building for them. And that just doesn't seem right to me but that is just my opinion. I would love to have one of those tortoises also, I don't think I could handle for :), but it is just not practical for where I live, not enough humidity and too darn cold.

ben awes

5 Year Member
I live in Minnesota and I'm trying to do it here. Humans keep animals in unnatural environments all the time. No one says anything about keeping parrots in tiny cages. Raised leopard torts for twelve years up here and while the parents were bumpy because no one was talking about humidity then, they were very healthy and had beautiful babies.

It ought to be easier to keep them in the high desert than in Minnesota.

I think the most important thing is to already have experience with raising tortoises and a real commitment to doing the best job you can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It ought to be easier to keep them in the high desert than in Minnesota.

I don't agree. I think neither place has a suitable outdoor environment, and so both places will require an extensive indoor set up. Certainly possible in either place, but not practical or easy in either place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both of mine are pretty pyramided. I live in Central California. It's dry here. My two have always lived where they live now - outside with a warm shed. I thought watering their grass to keep the grass alive would be enough humidity for them. It obviously wasn't.

If you can set up a misting system over the Aldabran yard, so that the air is always humid for them, and have a humid shed for them to retreat to, you can probably raise some pretty nice-looking Aldabran tortoises. But in this age of California-drought when water metering is likely to happen soon, I sort of doubt you're going to be able to plant the plants necessary or have the misting system necessary.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
high desert (hesperia, ca) // my question is has anyone successfully raised Aldabras out here?

~ We have many customers that reside in desert regions. I just spoke with a customer today who has several of our hatchlings and they are growing and developing smooth. Here is a photo I took a few months ago that also was raised in a desert region that left our program at 3" about four years ago, not so smooth. I have no idea how this tortoise was kept or fed, etc. The customer I spoke with today is sending me photos of several two and three year olds, I will post pictures when they arrive on my e-mail.

00G0G_iIyohZFWxrl_600x450.jpg

garydp21

5 Year Member
Seems to me you will essentially need to create a tropical environment during all months outside of winter....also, winter will bring challenges as well....especially when they are full size....I am curious, why 4?
Why

garydp21

5 Year Member
[QUOnotTE="garydp21, post: 1210299, member: 6295"]Why[/QUOTE]
Why not? I would just rather get a group

garydp21

5 Year Member
~ We have many customers that reside in desert regions. I just spoke with a customer today who has several of our hatchlings and they are growing and developing smooth. Here is a photo I took a few months ago that also was raised in a desert region that left our program at 3" about four years ago, not so smooth. I have no idea how this tortoise was kept or fed, etc. The customer I spoke with today is sending me photos of several two and three year olds, I will post pictures when they arrive on my e-mail.

View attachment 126551
Thanks for the info.i spoke with you on the phone a while back. I'm hesitant on getting the aldabs.just in case there not as hardy as the sulcatas...I've raised red foots, sulcatas etc..and they've turned out just fine without the high humidity requirements...

garydp21

5 Year Member
Thanks ="Yvonne G, post: 1082749, member: 398"]Both of mine are pretty pyramided. I live in Central California. It's dry here. My two have always lived where they live now - outside with a warm shed. I thought watering their grass to keep the grass alive would be enough humidity for them. It obviously wasn't.

If you can set up a misting system over the Aldabran yard, so that the air is always humid for them, and have a humid shed for them to retreat to, you can probably raise some pretty nice-looking Aldabran tortoises. But in this age of California-drought when water metering is likely to happen soon, I sort of doubt you're going to be able to plant the plants necessary or have the misting system necessary.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply...yeah I thought so too...any pics of your torts

Alaskamike

South Florida
Being in South Florida, I have an advantage. Only about 4-5 months of lower humidity , which I mitigate with soaks and a water pan in a heated hide. I also apply Coconut oil to my Aldabras shell several times a week during these times ( somewhat still controversial - but I'm convinced it helps).

Their natural environment is very consistent and humid. Here is a chart of the Seychelles weather averages.

Average climate in Seychelles throughout the year
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Daily Temperature High (°C) 28 29 29 30 29 28 27 27 28 28 29 28
Daily Temperature Low (°C) 24 24 25 25 25 24 24 24 24 24 24 23
Daily Sunshine (hrs) 6 6 7 8 8 7 7 7 7 7 7 6
Relative Humidity (%) 82 80 80 80 79 79 80 80 79 79 80 82
Monthly Rainfall (mm) 381 279 229 178 178 102 76 76 127 152 229 356
Wind Direction NW NW NW SW-NW SE SE SE SE SE SW-NW SW-NW NW

The chart didn't copy exactly. But you can see the 12 month variance in humidity is from a low of 79% to high of 82%. Not much variation.

High & low temps are close too

There is no doubt you could raise healthy well formed Aldabras in a dry climate. Providing a pond to soak in , a humid hide shed / box , enough to heat and good food it could be done