No one agrees on anything.

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Part of the problem with FB is that someone " owns" the page. It might be several people in a few cases.

If you disagree with them , or do not herald them as the expert , they can easily ban you from further comment.

Sneaking in a link to the Tortoise Forum as a good place for detailed information might be doable. But direct confrontational debate is often futile.

We have disagreements here too , but it does not result in a ban to discussion.

It is human nature to bristle when your ideas or knowledge is challenged. We all do it. The maturity to seriously contemplate new information is not a trait everyone possesses.

Even here on the TF I know there are several dozen members that are considered the most experienced and knowledgable. If I post a conflicting idea to theirs, it can be met with considerable opposition. But I also am confident that with reasonable explanation and demonstrated results folks here will allow me to defend my assertions.

I hope it always stays that way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"No one agrees on anything."

This is because tortoise-keeping isn't a one-size-fits-all type of hobby. One has to figure out what the tortoise needs and provide that. What Tom does in his California climate to achieve what the tortoise needs might be a completely different thing than what PDRobber has to do back in New York.

So, just to take one example, we now know that moisture and humidity during a baby tortoise's first year is what is needed to help that baby grow smoothly. How you, the keeper provide that moisture and humidity is up to you, in your climate, in your house. Tom has had great good luck using the closed chamber. Depending upon your climate and how your house's climate control is, you may not need a closed chamber. Maybe you can get away with just covering the habitat.

But this is something each keeper has to figure out for themselves. Learn what that species of tortoise needs, and provide for those needs any way you can. What we tell you here on the forum are not rules set in stone, but guidelines to help you determine the best care for your tortoise.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Amen to what Yvonne just said. Which is why I absolutely adore this site for learning about tortoise keeping. It is great to read what keepers experience, from all over the world, really. Amen.Amen.Amen.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Seems like there are two points of contention, 1)Facebook as a source of husbandry care, 2)varying husbandry care advice.

Facebook has much great content, but also much very not so great. I post care and husbandry advice on Facebook same as I do here, that venue does not make what I say incorrect. The rolling post nature of Facebook seems to prompt more short one sentence answers. Even though sometimes people ask question on the order of needing a small booklet to answer. So they get un-detailed bullet point answers. The mish-mash of such bullet point is bewildering. Also many Facebook users are smart phone users with little tiny keyboards on their phone, which tends to motivate the responder to tiny small one sentence answers.

Varying husbandry advice occurs because situations vary. Yvonne points to micro-climate about using or not using closed chambers based on the ambient conditions of the house. The result sought is the same, but the starting conditions are different between raising neonates in the high desert and a swamp.

Same with spinach in a way. In this case the strong don't use spinach message comes as a over reaction to some tortoise somewhere being fed a preponderance of spinach. Some small amount of spinach and no spinach are closer to each other in advice than some small amount of spinach and alot of spinach. DIET should be varied, which can include some small amount of pretty much any produce you can eat. It's strongly recommended to keep the diet varied for many reasons. It's strongly suggested to keep the diet towards categories of produce such that the vary-ing-ness is still possible.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
short answers? Oh how I miss those :) just kidding