Do some torts pass hard urates no matter how hydrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is it true that some torts are prone to pass solid/hard urates no matter how hydrated?
I got great advice on here about gritty urates, but now that they are hard, I need help again.:shy:
I've had my baby Nodder for 3 weeks now. The first time I saw urates, it was very hard. For the last 9 days, I've seen urates daily-a bit on the gritty side. However, today it was very hard again-like a little rock about 2mm.
Fecal material looks normal and is daily as well.
I'm feeding spring mix (no spinach), weeds/grass, mazuri 2x a week, calcium w/D3 sprinkle 2x a week.
Cactus 2x a week.
I've also give pumpkin or sweet potato once a week
Soak once daily for 30 minutes.
Water in the enclosure
Humidity 80-90% in the hide at 83ish degrees
60-70% in the rest of the enclosure (working on getting that to 80%).
Soaked substrate/moss in hide.
Hot spot 100-108
Cool side 75-85
Warm side 90-95
Thanks!
Lisa

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Less knowledgable peep here......I think gritty is ok, but hard not okay, but I am far from any expert. I have been going thru the same sorta thing with my Daisy Lou, she has passed 2 VERY large stones last month. It was aweful, her previous care was anything but care. I now soak her everyday and sometimes twice. She also had an xray which showed her insides were riddled with hard urate pebbles and crud. I am proud to say, she tinkles everyday and for the last 2 weeks has not had any urates! Yay!

So, I would soak at least 2 times a day for awhile.

If Nodder had a hard time passing the stone you can put mineral oil in his food and that helped Daisy Lou pass her second stone fairly easy, if I don't say so myself, I'm sure she would disagree. :D

I hope this helps! This is just what is working for me! :D

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you for sharing Mary Anne-poor Daisy Lou. No, I'm sure niether Nodder nor Daisy Lou think there is anything easy about passing those-YIKES! I'll try mineral oil for sure. Thanks for the knowledge! ;)
I'm a bit surprised the urates are so hard since Nodder came from someone well known to be an expert on this site and I'm pretty sure the sweet little thing was well taken care of.
That's what makes me think some may be more susceptible than others.
Hmmmm--questions to ponder!!!
If they get worse, I'll get an x-ray too.
Thanks again.
Lisa

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Your welcome! You can also feed Nodder foods that are lower in oxalates. That should help also! I got my mineral oil at Ride Aide. Have you seen him drink? Maybe he is shy, my ornate boxie only eats in private, it's the weirdest thing. If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know! Good luck, I hope for no more hard urate/oxalates stones.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have mineral oil on the list!
Yes, he drinks--I may start as well!!!! :)
I also wet his spring mix-sans spinach-and his weeds so he'll get water there too.
He's not shy at all--he is such a friendly little guy. He'll eat anything from my hand. Amazing how they can have such a cute personality being so tiny!
He's so sweet and helpless, it's hard to see him in pain.
Thank for another follow up!
CHEERS to no more hard urate/oxalates stones for Nodder and Daisy Lou!

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Torty Mom said:
Your welcome!Maybe he is shy, my ornate boxie only eats in private, it's the weirdest thing.

It's funny how shy they can be. I've heard boxies in particular can be shy about eating while they're being watched. It took weeks before I finally caught sight of my three-toed going for a bug. :)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.